Which do you prefer for Android: Firewall or VPN

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi,

Of the Android firewalls I have looked into, all seem to require setting up a fake vpn. And when you switch over to turn on the vpn, it disables the firewall's fake vpn. Which one is more important to you - vpn or firewall ?
It depends on your usage. I paid for the VPN and has it always-connected.

I use Blokada only when watching online movies to block in-movie ads

lunarlander

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 8, 2017
I prefer firewall, because it blocks traffic coming inbound. Anyone can connect to any app and send over exploits without a firewall. VPNs encrypts traffic, but doesn't block unsolicited traffic inbound. I am not sure if a vpn checks if incoming traffic only originates from it's servers.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I prefer firewall, because it blocks traffic coming inbound. Anyone can connect to any app and send over exploits without a firewall. VPNs encrypts traffic, but doesn't block unsolicited traffic inbound. I am not sure if a vpn checks if incoming traffic only originates from it's servers.

On the other hand more VPNs are being industry-audited nowadays

Last edited:

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
all seem to require setting up a fake vpn

Take a look at this, in theory, you could use it alongside a real VPN, or an adblocking solution like Blokada.

Regards,
:)

Unfortunately it is an Android limitation to allow only one VPN at a time :eek:

even better adguard.
Sure, under the battery saving I agree, about the filtering capabilities is quite limited to the fact to don't allow creating custom rules, I follow Blokada real closely.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Hello, I prefer a good VPN-Service, I also have Secureline VPN both on my Windows 10 Home & on my iPhone 7 Plus(the app Avast Security where the VPN is included), I also have SurfEasy Ultra Subscription which is operational on all my Devices. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.