Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 3, 2014
I'm in doubt which option best protect me, tell their opinions

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Qihoo. You get 3 Engines, Sandbox, BB, Good detection rates, and its Light (for me anyway).

I have been having personal grudges against Comodo lately.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Why grudges ? I wonder :(
Well I been questioning their companies policies including their privacy policy since day one.
Geek Buddy in my opinion is a scam, I seen geek buddy in use before on a clean VM and they claim it had a virus and to find out if it did, they wanted a lot of money just to see if there was anything bad on the system and I just don't like the way they advertise it.

A little while ago I read something called "The dark side of comodo" and I'm not not sure if they still are but Comodo was selling SSL certificates to known Malware Distributors they found out and started removing it but it was just happening too often.
Another thing was
Softpedia at one time labeled CIS (v3 or 4) as malware because CIS included SafeSurf, a third party toolbar considered to be malware by Softpedia.
Comodo didn't like that, so they tried to get Softpedia to get rid of the malware label but softpedia refused and CIS was removed by Softpedia. CIS to this day is back on Softpedia and no longer has SafeSurf but does come bundled with questionable software and I do find CIS bloated with rather useless software in my opinion.
I also find their website cluttered, It needs a redesign.

Don't get me wrong, Comodo has a great product and the best firewall on the market but I just don't like their business practices.

Reactions: DaZa9 and yigido
Y

yigido

@3link9 thanks for your opinion ;)
I am mostly agree to you about GeekBuddy, same experience I had before.
About Bundled software, you are right. But you do not have to install them just un-click and go with your security suit. Bundling makes the installer big,its a pity! I agree. ;)

IDK about SSL problem that you are talkin' about..I am going to lookin at it ;)

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
@3link9 thanks for your opinion ;)
I am mostly agree to you about GeekBuddy, same experience I had before.
About Bundled software, you are right. But you do not have to install them just un-click and go with your security suit. Bundling makes the installer big,its a pity! I agree. ;)

IDK about SSL problem that you are talkin' about..I am going to lookin at it ;)
Yeah it does make it big, but the problem I have is.. a lot of these softwares that come bundled are adware and one of the point of a Anti-Virus is to get rid of adware and junk. I understand they need to make money on their free product but its ridiculous that they bundle adware only to remove it as a PUP on the next scan.
(This includes almost every AV, not just comodo)

Y

yigido

Yeah it does make it big, but the problem I have is.. a lot of these softwares that come bundled are adware and one of the point of a Anti-Virus is to get rid of adware and junk. I understand they need to make money on their free product but its ridiculous that they bundle adware only to remove it as a PUP on the next scan.
(This includes almost every AV, not just comodo)
There is no adware in Comodo installers ? Do you mean PrivDog ..privdog is privacy,security and ad-blocking extenson
About Yandex..Comodo has lots of users in Russia..and Yandex is good not like DeltaToolbar etc.

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
There is no adware in Comodo installers ? Do you mean PrivDog ..privdog is privacy,security and ad-blocking extenson
About Yandex..Comodo has lots of users in Russia..and Yandex is good not like DeltaToolbar etc.
Well, I haven't used Comodo in quite some time last time i used it was when v6 was just released. I know it comes with PrivDog but it did have the optional Yahoo toolbar and web search bundled with it. Not exactly adware but unnecessary junk.
Please Correct me if i'm worng.

Y

yigido

Well, I haven't used Comodo in quite some time last time i used it was when v6 was just released. I know it comes with PrivDog but it did have the optional Yahoo toolbar and web search bundled with it. Not exactly adware but unnecessary junk.
There is no longer yahoo mate..

I

illumination

CIS bloated with rather useless software in my opinion.
I also find their website cluttered, It needs a redesign.

Don't get me wrong, Comodo has a great product and the best firewall on the market but I just don't like their business practices.

Am i missing something here? Top sentence just does not play well with the bottom one ;)

Seriously, i understand after hearing many things, that one would question.. In the few years i have been using Comodo products, i have never seen a breach of trust as far as the privacy policy goes. As for the SSL certs, im sure Comodo is not the only company to ever have been taken advantage of by malware distributors.. For the bloated installer, i agree, it is rather big, but it is to offer everyone something in one installer instead of many "all optional of course".. As for CIS being bloatware itself, and useless, i completely disagree.

Reactions: yigido

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Quiho 360 Internet Security + Comodo Firewall

But I prefer CIS (full protection) and 360 on access (light light). (you need to set another software quarantine in exclusion on bot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.