Which file archiver do you use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MalwareT

Thread author
Do you know if it is any good compared to 7zip? Also i see that it has not been updated for two years exactly now, are they still developing/supporting it?

EDIT:

Well dates should not be used as i just noticed, 7zip has not been updated since 2010-11-18. Still i am curious as to how you think these two compare. :)

I think HaoZip is free version of WinRAR. It has much friendlier UI than 7Zip, has batch renamer, virtual cd, and it also scans files inside archives. Definetly worth trying :D Try it, and see for yourself.

software182

Level 12
Verified
Mar 4, 2014

& 7zip
fit.gif

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I think HaoZip is free version of WinRAR. It has much friendlier UI than 7Zip, has batch renamer, virtual cd, and it also scans files inside archives. Definetly worth trying :D Try it, and see for yourself.

Thanks, i will download it and see how it is then. :)

Reactions: Kent and MalwareT

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
And what's your opinion on HaoZip ? :D

Well it seems to have a few nice options, and the UI definitely looks a whole lot better then the one from 7z. But so far if i use the same settings in HaoZip as i use in 7z then the 7z Archive made by HaoZip is not as small as the one from 7z. ( Because 7z has a ultra packing mode, which HaoZip does not have. ) Granted it are not huge differences so far, so i will continue to test it for a few days. If the differences continue to be as they are at the moment, then maybe i will switch...i will have to wait and see. :)

Reactions: MalwareT

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
its paid not free :confused:....I got it from giveaway in softpedia :cool:
here's the link if you are interested :)
http://www.powerarchiver.com/
They do have a freeware version but it hasn't been updated since 2010 no older than the stable release of 7zip.

PowerArchiver-Free_1.png

Download from Softpedia- http://www.softpedia.com/get/Compression-tools/PowerArchiver-Free.shtml

Features not available in the freeware version:

· Optimized/Multicore compression,
· Optimized rar extraction
· Preview files inside archives without extracting them
· Compression Profiles
· Password Manager
· Queue system for sequential compress/extract
· Ribbon interface and Skinning support
· Professional level backup utility that lets you backup your files to 3 destinations as well as ftp/email or burn to the disc
· FTP client for easy transfer of files via FTP
· Integrated standalone Burner utility which lets you burn data CD/DVD/Blue-Ray discs, rip your discs to ISO images and even use Virtual DVD tool to mount ISO files.

Enjoy!! :D

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
aahhh that works I had only tried US link....it will be backup for me to install in other PC :p it is old version but it will work fine I guess....I am using 2013 version....I like both PowerArchvier and 7 zip.....I like HaoZip too but seems like development of English version is stopped...

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013

This is worth trying. Thanks for the heads up

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
7zip Final size 55910 Kb
2cih8vq.jpg

Haozip Final size 58169 Kb
24qjpxx.jpg

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
7zip Final size 55910 Kb
Haozip Final size 58169 Kb

So far i do not get that kind of big difference in my tests so far. I just packed a mod for the game Skyrim that unpacked has a size of 46,7mb and i got these results;

HaoZip 7z: 1.826.569mb ( Just close to 2mb. )
Haozip02_zpsacdb1f20.jpg

Haozip01_zps73cf28d0.jpg

And with 7z: 1.826.485mb ( Just close to 2mb. )
7z_zps5a792f95.jpg

So as you can see i do not have such a big difference as you. Also do not forget that not all types of files pack as good as other files. I have a folder where i keep wallpapers and they are in jpeg format, and unpacked the folder is close to 251mb. Now when i try to pack it with either HaoZip or 7z i get an Archive of just over 258mb...which surprised me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.