Battle Which filtering DNS would you choose?

Compare list
NextDNS
Control D DNS
Adguard DNS
AhaDNS

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
CD does not even have 10% features NextDNS has or blocking capabilities. It is like comparing IPv4 vs IPv6, everyone says that IPv4 is dead, yet everyone uses it, because it just works.
Care to back that up with some specifics or facts? Control D has every single feature of NextDNS, except the 4 niche things mentioned in this article (let me know if I missed something), and over a dozen unique features NextDNS does not have (as it hasn't received a feature update in years). Control D vs NextDNS - An Honest Comparison

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I mean there is a clear conflict of interest going with your recommendation. I tried ControlD but it is very messy to work with, bad user experience along with no free tier for a single person because I still haven't crossed 200k mark with NextDNS. No limitation other than queries on NextDNS Free and it have no account 7 day trial with all features. One major thing ControlD have is location proxy but most people would use VPN for that. So I don't think NextDNS missing any massive feature for a user who is not a IT Admin.

Really? Have you tried exporting and importing lists/settings. No. No you have not. Why? NextDNS refuses to evolve and implement new features. Imagine having to enabled/disable all TLDs yourself for every config. That's nuts, and a waste of time where there are better alternatives out there.

windscribe

From Windscribe
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 28, 2016
Adguard Home DNS is up-and-coming. If you are planning on also using a VPN, look into Adguard vpn. It also allows you to use their DNS filtering service. Otherwise, controld is the standard now that NextDNS is asleep at the wheel.
It's also pretty fast (on average).

1704428052298.png

Reactions: Back3 and n8chavez

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I've tried all the listed ones and found Adguard DNS to have the least false positives and be the fastest by far in the western USA. All the others blocked things I didn't want to block, which made for some lengthy troubleshooting. Of ones not listed, I also find Clean Browsing w/ security filter to be excellent.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.