Advice Request Which (If any) Cloud Storage Provider(s) do you use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which (If any) Cloud Storage Provider(s) do you use?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Google Drive has the best client as for now!
Well, I hope you don't use google docs with files in the Google format. Because if you do, you will discover that Google Drive desktop client is not syncing your actual files. It is only syncing links to your online files. But if you use google docs in the Microsoft Office format, I think that your actual files will be synced.

Alexhousek

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2017
I use Zoolz Intelligent Cloud. (Zoolz Intelligent Home - Smart Cloud Backup For Home Use) The beauty of this product is that it allows you to add all of your cloud storage providers (Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.) into one interface and then you can search for files across your home PC, your network, and your cloud providers all at once. It's a great tool. Now, I don't have to remember which cloud storage I saved which file. It can also sync to any external HD as well.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I use Zoolz Intelligent Cloud. (Zoolz Intelligent Home - Smart Cloud Backup For Home Use) The beauty of this product is that it allows you to add all of your cloud storage providers (Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.) into one interface and then you can search for files across your home PC, your network, and your cloud providers all at once. It's a great tool. Now, I don't have to remember which cloud storage I saved which file. It can also sync to any external HD as well.
Sounds very convenient. I used to use a service like that myself, can't remember what it's called. I think I tried two or three of them.
But do keep in mind the security aspect of it: if Zoolz gets compromised, your whole digital collection is in mortal danger.

Reactions: TrinitronMSDOS

DropBox
  • Very simple to use and reliable
  • Constant sync or can be made on-demand as user sees fit
  • It keeps backup version copies in case you get smacked by ransomware (I can attest that it is an extremely valuable feature when you make a careless mistake)
  • For those of you that just have to have free, there is free and it meets the needs of most typical users except those who are voracious users of storage space
  • FREE is just enough of an inducement to get you to PAY
  • PAID is expensive for a reason; figure it out
NOTE: The DropBox folder should be made a protected folder using your security softs\methods of choice. Please don't ask me how to do it. Figure it out for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
DropBox
  • Very simple to use and reliable
  • Constant sync or can be made on-demand as user sees fit
  • It keeps backup version copies in case you get smacked by ransomware (I can attest that it is an extremely valuable feature when you make a careless mistake)
  • For those of you that just have to have free, there is free and it meets the needs of most typical users except those who are voracious users of storage space
  • FREE is just enough of an inducement to get you to PAY
  • PAID is expensive for a reason; figure it out
NOTE: The DropBox folder should be made a protected folder using your security softs\methods of choice. Please don't ask me how to do it. Figure it out for yourself.
I totally agree. Dropbox does the job right. Fast sync, doesn't get confused which is the most recent copy of the file, reliable versioning.

Alexhousek

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2017
But do keep in mind the security aspect of it: if Zoolz gets compromised, your whole digital collection is in mortal danger.

To be honest, this is an area that I am not too knowledgeable about. However, I did read this page and it appears to show some solid credentials and safeguards?!
Is Zoolz HIPAA, FERPA, SAS 70, Safe Harbor, ISO 9001, ISO 27001,or PCI compliant? – Zoolz Wiki

I would be very interested if you (or others) see concerns here about their security practices.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
To be honest, this is an area that I am not too knowledgeable about. However, I did read this page and it appears to show some solid credentials and safeguards?!
Is Zoolz HIPAA, FERPA, SAS 70, Safe Harbor, ISO 9001, ISO 27001,or PCI compliant? – Zoolz Wiki

I would be very interested if you (or others) see concerns here about their security practices.
I am sure they do their best, but if you follow security news for any period of time, you will see that some very respectable companies get hacked. Our online data is vulnerable, so it is best to minimize the risks where possible.
For instance, many people encrypt their sensitive data before uploading to the cloud. That's a smart thing to do, if you want to keep it private.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Personally, I have been using Google Drive and One Drive for many many years. I encrypt everything, because I have well.... trust issues (hahaha)! In all honesty I don't want my data out in the open nor data mined; therefore, everything is heavily encrypted. I keep a local on site HDD for backups and an off sight HDD for backup reasons too. One can never be too safe! Yes, the HDDs are encrypted as well! I take no risks with data. I will not divulge what I use for encryption, but I will tell you that it exceeds the standard norm in encryption and then some!

@_CyberGhosT_ I like keeping my storage on my own HDDs. I'm with you on keeping as much data as possible on our own devices or drives. (y)

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
The web has many reports that Zoolz has terminated accounts due to infringing material. But since they claim that everything is client-side encrypted prior to uploading (with their client of course), how would they know that? Along with that are many troubling reports about decaying bandwidth.

My primary cloud storage is a NAS.

T

TrinitronMSDOS

Using OneDrive if i have to store some files as i have 1tb of storage included with the Office suite subscription. I also use Google Drive to transfer pictures and videos from my phone to my PC and Dropbox to share some files. But the files on my cloud accounts usually aren't there for long. Nothing beats my local HDD in terms of safety, privacy, speed and reliability.

Reactions: Overlord

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I use but very little, OneDrive. I don't see the cloud for sure, but I admit it's comfortable to used

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
No one uses SpiderOak One?
Just wondering if it's any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.