New Update Which is Best Ad Block extension ?

Best Ad Block Tool/Extension ?

• UBlock

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • UBlock Origin

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • Adguard AdBlocker

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • AdBlock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adblock Plus

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Adblock Pro

• Adblock Edge

• Adblock Super

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@yesnoo : I'm using Adguard extension for 3 years and it didn't let me down; terrific filters which no ads are bypassed + Malware/Phishing protection is also good which save me many times from some untowards sites.

However very few FP's are presented which nothing to worry about. ;)

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
As a full Firefox user, I use Adguard, combined with the native track protection in Firefox. Very lightweight and effective.

Last edited:
Reactions: uninfected1

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
ublock Origin is still the king in customization and usability. It is lighter than almost all other adblockers
However, in my recent test with ublock and adguard for chrome, after adding almost the same number of rules. adguard used around 38Mb while UBO used around 55Mb with 20-30 tabs opened
In the end I had to remove adguard because it is not convenient to import extra rules out of presets

Y

yigido

As a full Firefox user, I use Adguard, combined with the native track protection in Firefox. Very lightweight and effective.
Firefox built-in tracking protection uses Disconnect basic filters. Plus, Adguard filters sounds great.
Enable English, Spyware, Social, Annoyances (and maybe your local list)..you are good to go :)

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
For Adblocking purposes, I would recommend:

1) uBlock Origin. Pros - Free. Cons - Almost none.
2) Adguard. Pros - Network level, highly effective. Cons - Practically similar/replaceable to uBlock Origin + 2-3 addons, expensive.
3) Adguard DNS Beta. Pros - Better than above two once it gets out of Beta and improved. Cons - It's in BETA

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
Browser: uBlock Origin
System-wide (and mostly because there is a 6-month trial available online): Adguard

I have not paid for Adguard, and likely never will. uBlock Origin is fantastic on its own, and completely free.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
uBlock Origin for me. I've used Adguard, both the extension and the paid desktop version, and for me uBO beats both, especially for lightness, ease of use and configurability.

Every time I've seen this type of thread it always seems to be between uBlock Origin and Adguard, and every time uBlock Origin seems to come out a pretty comfortable winner, and with good reason imo.

Reactions: Morro
L

LabZero

I tested ABP and uBlock Origin but the matter of the acceptable ads re-evaluate some things and I'll explain my opinion from what I understand and please correct me if I wrong.

ABP automatically upload the lists of rules that instruct the app on how to manage the objects contained in web pages. These rules can lock or unlock but, when already some time ago, there was the problem of the list of acceptable ads, some options were available : make the list not optional, but mandatory;
make the list optional, but enabled at the origin (that's the current situation), or make the list optional, but disabled by default, which it was the mode that all of us would have preferred, except of course who gets the money from advertisers.
That's why two forks of ABP were created but they leave the forks after a short time because the list was optional ( it was possible to disable it ), and problems to maintain the forks in parallel with the developments of ABP.
ABP for Firefox, which was the original version, has an interface that is quite complex to create the filter's rules, which can be used in addition to the pre loaded lists, or alone. If all users write their own rules we could not accuse ABP to block one thing or the other, because the user may decide what to block and what.
On the other side, the user, in exchange of some work to define the rules, should not worry that others will decide instead of him what is acceptable and what is not.

UBlock load the same lists of ABP (which are created by third parties), but it has an interface (array type) to another type of rules, and quite different operation.
In this case, the problem is greater compared with ABP because there is no possibility to replace the default rules with their own rules.

Therefore, it is not the fact that ABP "sell advertising", because of the fact that the user cannot or does not want to define his own rules and instead he wants a software install and forget, fully automatic. Automatism is the obvious problem that's always someone else decides what to block and what not.

ABP (above all) is also a technical problem about the performance of the browser and If we consider Firefox, which I use, I see the gradual abandonment of the classic extensions to the benefit of extensions based on the API (webextension) that should be (partially) compatible Chrome.

So UBlock Origin for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.