Battle Which is better Chromium or Ungoogled Chromium?

wat0114

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
Being that use of Ungoogled Chrome presents the issue of questionable binaries, I have decided to uninstall it, and use Brave as my secure browser.

Just as there is no such thing as the perfect non-bloated do everything security software, the same applies to browsers

Boils down to personal preference, and good surfing habits.
Probably the wisest choice. At least regarding Linux binaries, there hasn't been an update since the last one of more than a month ago.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Although I am using Brave as my main browser, based on HarborFront's comments above, I downloaded Librewolf as my secondary browser since its developers seem devoted to security and privacy related features.

Again, imo after reading all the comments, there is no perfect browser but some closer than others. All personal preference like how many locks one puts on his or her door, and who manufactures them, and how secure they make you feel.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Probably the wisest choice. At least regarding Linux binaries, there hasn't been an update since the last one of more than a month ago.
UC (Eloston) was pretty on par with Chrome releases sometimes back but not since the release of v90.xx.xxx. Not sure why. Could be no contributors compiling the binaries

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Based on that article, using Ungoogled is taking a big risk.

That said, what about using a stable version of Chromium from www.Woolys.com that matches the Google Chrome version?

I am aware that new versions of Chromium come before a new version of Google Chrome. Is Chromium more private and secure than Google Chrome?

Reactions: Nevi
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Based on that article, using Ungoogled is taking a big risk.
Yes

That said, what about using a stable version of Chromium from www.Woolys.com that matches the Google Chrome version?
don’t think so as Problems are nearly the same.

I am aware that new versions of Chromium come before a new version of Google Chrome. Is Chromium more private and secure than Google Chrome?
No. You will miss e.g. SafeBrowsing and as Chromium isn’t used much, you will get a easy detectable fingerprint

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
So I guess the conclusion is one should not use these generic versions of Chrome but something like Brave or Firefox due to security risks.

However, if one were to customize Google Chrome within its configuration settings like the article mentions, one can accomplish the same thing.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

So I guess the conclusion is one should not use these generic versions of Chrome
Chromium isn’t Chrome but e,g. Chrome and Edge are build with Chromium.

but something like Brave or Firefox due to security risks.
you can use Brave if you trust them (I don’t).
it’s based on Chromium too so security is fine - if they’re keeping the code up2date.

Firefox is the weakest browser: Firefox and Chromium | Madaidan's Insecurities

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
So I guess the conclusion is one should not use these generic versions of Chrome but something like Brave or Firefox due to security risks.

However, if one were to customize Google Chrome within its configuration settings like the article mentions, one can accomplish the same thing.
One should not use a half-cooked UC version (self-build or otherwise) if one is not intending to de-Google very thoroughly.

If the author of that article speaks so easily, then he should come out with a UC version as good or even better than Eloston's version, no?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

If the author of that article speaks so easily, then he should come out with a UC version as good or even better than Eloston's version, no?
No. You can’t maintaining a browser as one-man. It wouldn’t also make sense as many problems would be the same as with other custom Chromium builds.

He use also Chrome and/ or Edge. (Yes, I know him).
I think you should read this

As the article already said:
The case for using VSCodium is perhaps weaker than that for avoiding Chromium, since if your goal is simply to avoid Microsoft's telemetry, you can follow the documentation for the official release
Just remove the perhaps as it is.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
No. You can’t maintaining a browser as one-man. It wouldn’t also make sense as many problems would be the same as with other custom Chromium builds.

He use also Chrome and/ or Edge. (Yes, I know him).

As the article already said:

Just remove the perhaps as it is.
If Eloston can do it so can he especially when he speaks as though he can make a better version of UC

FI, what he raised are concerns (or non-concerns) depending on how you look at it and those are nothing new.

So now you know why Eloston's UC is sometimes behind Chrome's releases. It's a single person against a giant corporation. And it also means the user is willing to undertake the risk involved and negating the concern.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

If Eloston can do it so can he especially when he speaks as though he can make a better version of UC
And for which reason? It would only end in even more fragmentation and as i already wrote, you can’t maintaining a browser as one-man.

So now you know why Eloston's UC is sometimes behind Chrome's releases. It's a single person against a giant corporation. And it also means the user is willing to undertake the risk involved and negating the concern.
We know that since beginning but not the users which follow recommendation from fanboys or communities like Reddit. And that's the real problem.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For those who are interested in the latest Windows version of Eloston's UC you can get it from below. You just need to build it and there are building instructions for it.

v91.0.4472.114-1

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
And for which reason? It would only end in even more fragmentation and as i already wrote, you can’t maintaining a browser as one-man.

We know that since beginning but not the users which follow recommendation from fanboys or communities like Reddit. And that's the real problem.
Those concerns are not new and UC has been discussed and published over the net on many sites for so many years since its release not just Reddit or some communities.

You have to know the objective of Eloston's UC. If you're not sure go and read up his early posts. And it's the user's choice to use the browser

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It's stuck at v89 for Windows is because the maintainer for it has not been on the forum. If I'm not wrong another person looks like going to take up the job. So just wait a while and see how's the going

Btw, the latest source code is available there. If you (qua3k) can help by all means build the UC browser

Yes, Eloston's priority is the removal of Google Web Services in the UC browser. Other non-Google privacy features aren't his priority.

Security of UC is based on Chromium.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The security of Chromium is in part due to timely updates. Your browser cannot be considered secure if it is 14 weeks(95 days now) out of date. It has become even more of a risk to open any remotely untrusted site and it is against the interests of users to suggest the use of this outdated build. I do not have the time or the resources to single-handedly maintain a browser but I wish the (next) ungoogled-chromium-windows maintainer good luck.
Do you always open untrusted sites?

Like I mentioned, there's no outdated build, as the latest codes are already available on the website. All it needs is somebody to build it. If one needs it urgently, then build it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Browsers were essentially purpose-built to render untrusted content.

Additionally, the build being distributed is Chrome 89.0.4389.114, and there hasn’t been progress to get it to build correctly on 90 or 91 for that matter. See the issue tracker with people saying the same.
There are 222 open issues as of now. Yes, seen through some.

I believe other browsers also have similar unresolved problems if you go through their forums. Don't expect all problems can be resolved for each browser.

Some issues from the forum

One (the Pandora.com issue) got feedback/suggestions but no reply from thread starter, so not sure issue resolved or still outstanding.

Two started a problem (block local IP address and Chromium 91 vaapi intel) and said to give a try on the suggestions offered. After that silent........no reply on success or failure.

As for the Widevine user if he wants it he should not have use UC (Eloston) because Widevine belongs to Google. Although the provision is there to install Widevine explicitly, it's not working. The provision of extensions installation allows one not to connect to Google Play Store directly for downloading and updating. However, Eloston will not guarantee the extensions will work and work correctly/safely.

getting HD video (Prime / Netflix .. etc) issue - Reply is "On Windows it requires VMP, see #1258 (comment). Basically we need a certificate from Google to include in the browser, which is very hard if not impossible." UC is supposed to be a de-Google browser.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.