Battle Which is lighter? WMware 11 or VirtualBox 4.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Hello all, wish all of you have a nice day.
My story: I need a virtualization software to do my Lab at school. I am using VMware WorkStation 11. I installed 4 Virtual Machines on my computer (Intel Core i5 4200U, 8GB RAM DDR3L). I feel some lag on my system when I turn on 4 VMs at the same time (no additional software running except Foxit Reader). If I install 4 VMs by using VirtualBox 4.3, Does my computer runs lighter on resource usage? Do I need to change to VirtualBox?
Thanks all!

Reactions: norman

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well it depends to the RAM assigned consumption configuration (Virtualbox), if its 1GB for each VM then that should not cause any slowdowns. My laptop specification is AMD A8 with 8GB DDR3 I can manage to run two VM (assigned 2GB) with no slowdowns.

Reactions: Maxxx58

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Well it depends to the RAM assigned consumption configuration (Virtualbox), if its 1GB for each VM then that should not cause any slowdowns. My laptop specification is AMD A8 with 8GB DDR3 I can manage to run two VM (assigned 2GB) with no slowdowns.
I set 1GB for each VM. But I still feel lag on my machine. I don't know why

I

illumination

How are you running 4 VM's at once with an intel i5? You only have 4 logical processor cores to work with, and assuming you are only assigning 1 of those cores per VM, there would be nothing left to run the host. Im willing to bet, neither of these products will be able to run 4 VM's on that machine with no lag ;)

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
How are you running 4 VM's at once with an intel i5? You only have 4 logical processor cores to work with, and assuming you are only assigning 1 of those cores per VM, there would be nothing left to run the host. Im willing to bet, neither of these products will be able to run 4 VM's on that machine with no lag ;)
But my friend's machine runs smoothly. I don't know why? (I don't know his machine specs)

I

illumination

But my friend's machine runs smoothly. I don't know why? (I don't know his machine specs)
You would need an intel i7 quad core to run 4 vm's at once, and that would be still only allocating 1 processor core per each machine. Intel i5 can only allocate 2 processor cores comfortably, still allowing your host to function properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

NekoJonez

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
While VirtualBox is lighter then VMWare, I feel that VMWare supports more then VirtualBox.

EG: I was able to play more games in VMWare then I could in VirtualBox.

That said, both programs are equally awesome in malware research.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I thought of that but, nah.

Reverting snapshot: seconds
Copying a virtual hard disk on the same hard drive: a while, disrupts testing, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.