Which is the best Internet Security 2018?

D

Deleted member 178

The OP has an i7 with 16gb ram, performance issues won't be such a problem. what matters is what he want the soft to do.

If he just want to use his computer undisturbed with efficient protection out of the box, Emsisoft is the best choice.
Note: there is no more Emsisoft Internet Security (no more suite), only Emsisoft Anti-Malware (AV + BB + Surf protection)

Then all the other choices will be more oriented towards additional features/protection layers, all of them provides good enough security.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
With the EIS being dropped out of the list (as no more EIS instead becoming EAM), then i'll choose none. lol :LOL:.

I don't fancy internet security that have to be tweaked (EIS was the exclusion since there's nothing for me to tweak lol).

Since you have such a strong specs, why not make use of it to build a non-traditional security then?

F

ForgottenSeer 67480

Emsisoft is the best choice because he is light, no PC interruptions in time scanning system or updating signatures, his protection and behaviour blocker is much powerfull to protect your PC againts ransomwares and through malwares. He can also block phishing websites much better than others antiviruses.

T

TrinitronMSDOS

Without a doubt, i would rule out Zone Alarm. There a no real plus to this suite and it just doesn't play in the same league. As for the other ones, these are all solid reputable products that are highly regarded. So as long as you use their trial to check out how well it works on your computer, you can't really go wrong.

As others have mentioned, there is no "best" AV. But if you want a short answer based on my opinion, i would without a doubt choose Emsisoft. It's the best protection you can get and i just love how straight to the point their product is: excellent protection, light on the system, respect your privacy and has amazing support. My second choice would be Eset for more or less the same reasons, but it's not on your list.

Regardless, here's my thoughts on each products:

Emsisoft Anti-Malware
Amazing detection and zero day protection, straight to the point antivirus with no "extras" and other bloatware. It's light, it's efficient and just works. Their support is one of the best in the industry.

Bitdefender Internet Security
Among the best protection you can find out there, so good in fact that many other AVs uses their engine (F-Secure, Gdata, etc...). Their license pricing is excellent. On the downside, it can be quite heavy on some machines and is lacking options in the settings. It's also considered as one of the most buggy AV (but works very well for others). Their support is really poor.

Kaspersky Internet Security
A highly regarded product as well. Also, if you go for their Total Security, it is the one that offers the most "extras", so it's a good choice for those that loves having the most features in one product (personally i don't). Support is okay, but that depends on the country.

Norton Security
One of the oldest company in the industry. There are still a lot of people (mostly noobs) that hate this product for being bad a decade ago, but today Norton is a good product. Good protection, decent set of features, honest pricing with protection for up to 10 devices. In my opinion, it is slightly behind the others mentioned, but not by much. Support is good.

Anyway that's my opinion on these products based on my experience and knowledge. The best way to know what product is best for you is to try them. Enjoy their trials (30 days for most products) and test those yourself. Not only will your choice be informed, but you'll also learn how these softs works.

low L!fe

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2014
Without a doubt, i would rule out Zone Alarm. There a no real plus to this suite and it just doesn't play in the same league. As for the other ones, these are all solid reputable products that are highly regarded. So as long as you use their trial to check out how well it works on your computer, you can't really go wrong.

As others have mentioned, there is no "best" AV. But if you want a short answer based on my opinion, i would without a doubt choose Emsisoft. It's the best protection you can get and i just love how straight to the point their product is: excellent protection, light on the system, respect your privacy and has amazing support. My second choice would be Eset for more or less the same reasons, but it's not on your list.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware
Amazing detection and zero day protection, straight to the point antivirus with no "extras" and other bloatware. It's light, it's efficient and just works. Their support is one of the best in the industry.

Among the best protection you can find out there, so good in fact that many other AVs uses their engine (F-Secure, Gdata, etc...). Their license pricing is excellent. On the downside, it can be quite heavy on some machines and is lacking options in the settings. It's also considered as one of the most buggy AV (but works very well for others). Their support is really poor.

A highly regarded product as well. Also, if you go for their Total Security, it is the one that offers the most "extras", so it's a good choice for those that loves having the most features in one product (personally i don't). Support is okay, but that depends on the country.

Norton Security
One of the oldest company in the industry. There are still a lot of people (mostly noobs) that hate this product for being bad a decade ago, but today Norton is a good product. Good protection, decent set of features, honest pricing with protection for up to 10 devices. In my opinion, it is slightly behind the others mentioned, but not by much. Support is good.

Anyway that's my opinion on these products based on my experience and knowledge. The best way to know what product is best for you is to try them. Enjoy their trials (30 days for most products) and test those yourself. Not only will your choice be informed, but you'll also learn how these softs works.

Thank you
Useful information
what about McAfee and ESET?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Although the tests on YouTube can be shaky under scrutiy, MalwareBlocker has some good videos there. It's not exactly rocket science, since malware samples vary from test to test and signatures also. However, MB does a good job of bringing to the front the most important elements of the protection scope of each program. There are other good sources of video reviews, so I wouldn't rule out watching some YT videos. One example is Emsisoft. If you don't run much software, you won't hear from Emsi to see how it responds. So seeing it in action (same with Kas) can help understand the style of the program and then in many cases a review will also cover the settings.

BTW, there are good analyses of settings adjustments on MTs too. Searching the vendor + settings here at MTs might help with this.

Omarzwai

Level 1
Verified
Dec 10, 2016
I had KIS 2017 for one year and now bitdefender internet security 2018 and i think both are the same concerning protection and impact on the operating system .

Reactions: AtlBo and ZeroDay

Omarzwai

Level 1
Verified
Dec 10, 2016

Is emsisoft lighter than bitdefender internet security ? and has it additional features like safepay ?

Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Norton Security

Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Norton Security

T

TrinitronMSDOS

Thank you
Useful information

Glad you appreciate my post ;)

As i said, Eset is me second favorite. As for McAfee i'm not a big fan of their products, but i still think they are decent.

Here are my thoughts on those 2 products:

Eset:
Among the oldest companies in the industry, Eset has become a major player by consistently providing quality products through the years, hence having a very good reputation. Their Internet Security is an excellent AV, with good detection and very few false positives, while being light on most systems and having a lot of settings to play with. The downside are the HIPS that not that great if not properly configured and a BB that is behind other competitors. Pricing varies from cheap to expensive depending on the country. Support is very good.

McAfee:
A very old player in the industry as well, and still as of today one the major player in Endpoints and professional products. On the consumer side, they have suffered from a bad reputation for a very long time and slowly declined both in market share and reputation. But with recent changes (Intel bought them and sold them a few years later) they have improved their products a lot recently. They are even among the best in some recent tests. I think McAfee has the potential of becoming a great player again in the consumer market, but as of now they are just not worth it as there are so many better alternatives. Pricing is very low if bought on sale. Support is not that good.

Again, please keep in mind that this is just my personal opinion based on my experience and knowledge. The best is still making your own opinion by testing the products for yourself.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Thank you
Useful information
In regards to McAfee, the home use versions are far inferior to the Endpoint version. Note that Endpoint version aint as light as the Home use version.

I have used both and the Endpoint one is topnotch. My only dislike is no way to disable idle scan. Well there is... requires scheduling a scan. Good thing is once system is scanned, further scans are fast and less noisy.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.