Battle Which Opera desktop browser; Opera vs GX?

Compare list
Opera for Desktop
Opera GX

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
GX features appear to throttle usage, would that not be useful for generic web usage?
Throttle, how? I never noticed anything. You can move the GX Corner to the sidebar, that way it won't startup every time.

Edit: Where you talking about the CPU and Ram limiter feature? That's good if you want to the browser while gaming, for general usage it's not useful. What I like most in GX is the GX Corner, the color theme and Twitch integration in the sidebar. The GX Corner tells you about free games almost every day, it's useful because those games are only free to grab for a limited time.

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
A small tip that eventually helped myself to decide between these two, was to install them both and switch one day from another.

In the end, it all boiled down to the basic stable version as for example it get's much more regular updates. GXs special features was never anything that caught my attention enough. I'm not saying they are bad, it was just not for me.

Last edited:

dark_wielder

Level 2
Mar 7, 2020
A small tip that eventually helped myself to decide between these two, was two install them both and switch one day from another.

In the end, it all boiled down to the basic stable version as for example it get's much more regular updates. GXs special features was never anything that caught my attention enough. I'm not saying they are bad, it was just not for me.

GX's only CPU and RAM limitation feature was interesting to me. When I limited the ram and cpu feature, I noticed that the videos were not loaded and the web pages were slowing down. I don't remember the values I limit, probably max CPU 50% and max ram 2 GB. The only feature that got my attention was garbage for me. :D

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How is it in terms of security? Which are safer?
From what I know, both are Safe and Secure to use.

Opera main is better every day use, whereas GX provides more tweaks for "Gaming" computers and customisation options.

Opera VPN is turned off by default. It's not dangerous. You can use it if you want.

However you cannot compare it to standalone premium privacy VPNs such as ExpressVPN etc.

Check the 2020 Review - Opera VPN review

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.