Advice Request Which Phones can be Upgraded?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Which Windows Phone version are you currently running?

• Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview (any build)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 10 Mobile (RTM / Annivesary builds)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Windows Phone 8.x or 7.x

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
After many editorials and features, there still seems to be much confusion about exactly where each Windows Phone will end up - officially.
Looking at the official list of devices which will get the Creators Update (RS2) pushed to them, then adding in previous update availability, here's the situation for most Windows-running smartphones.
upgradegrid2017[1].png
Notes for the sake of clarity:
  • Ignoring hacks like fiddling with phone registries - we're keeping things 100% legitimate
  • I've omitted devices that are too old to be relevant or which were too niche/region-specific/heavily-carrier-branded
  • I've ignored Windows Phone 7.x for the same reason
  • I've ignored Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2 as it was only for a handful of models and mainly offered cosmetic tweaks to Settings, plus a newer Bluetooth stack
Source: Phone by phone: WP8/Windows 10 Mobile official upgrade paths

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Microsoft should provide wide range of smartphones that are eligible to update Windows 10.

In that case, it will help to increase the market shares and encourage users to use as alternative.

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@jamescv7 i agree with you but MS has decided to drop or to take another direction for Windows Phones.
They just haven't say anything officially yet.
Even though i did get the Creators Update ( Lumia 550 ) there are some phones that didn't get the update
but they have much better specs than mine.

Reactions: frogboy

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Yeah me too.
A few things i noticed after the CU is that my phone now is a little slower while using it.
Not much but is a bit slower.
Another thing i noticed is that if i have <save battery > On time and date don't show up in my Lock screen.
If i disable it then there are there.That wasn't the case before the CU.
By the way if MS was clear about Windows Mobile and they would say that they will continue to support it
I would buy 950 XL immediately, awesome phone:)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I have the 550 so i think we are different cases.
I don't even have double tap to wake.
If MS give the 550 this feature it would be great

D

Deleted member 178

yes the double tap is awesome, however i still miss the battery indicator on Lockscreen, it was present before AU.

Reactions: tonibalas

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I see that MS is removing stuff that people need.Oh come on

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.