Advice Request Which Privacy-Oriented Search Engine(s) Do You Use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The followings are some of the privacy-focused search engines

1) SearX - open-source self-hosted

Welcome to searx — searx 0.12.0 documentation

2) Hulbee - based in Switzerland

Hulbee die anonyme Suchmaschine

3) Startpage - based in Netherlands

Ixquick - Wikipedia

Their QUALYS' SSL LABS reports can be found here

SSL Server Test (Powered by Qualys SSL Labs)

Has anyone tried them before or is using them now? Like to comment?

Thanks

Notes:-

If you are privacy conscious I would not recommend DDG for its affiliation with Yahoo and Amazon. You can read more of DDG vs Startpage at reddit. If you dig deep enough at reddit Startpage is a bit controversial in regarding its privacy policy as well. However, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and have it listed up there

MetaGer, based in Germany, with its recent anti-encryption intention and the lack of a search for videos is not my choice for a privacy-focus search engine.

Last edited:

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I've never even heard of any of them, let alone tried them so i'm not much help :oops: I have tried Duck Duck Go but found it a bit iffy with searches, i.e.- Not really giving me what i was expecting then i sort of got stuck on it when i wanted to use google chrome it kept directing me to something else but that was probably more than likely user error, i eventually disabled it but may try it again.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
I use startpage for private searching. When I open STARTPAGE, the extension GHOST INCOGNITO automatically switches to incognito mode in Chromium. I have also set adding extensions store to incignito (in incognito mode you can't install extensions. so it also acts as a hardening tool).

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I use startpage for private searching. When I open STARTPAGE, the extension GHOST INCOGNITO automatically switches to incognito mode in Chromium. I have also set adding extensions store to incignito (in incognito mode you can't install extensions. so it also acts as a hardening tool).
You can set Chromium to ALWAYS open in Incognito mode like in my case.

Reactions: Zar_

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
What about IXquick.eu? I understand that its StartPage sibling is limited to Google search results, where IX uses a broader multi-search engine base.

Reactions: Zar_
W

WolfensteinXeen

I know i'm kind of drifting away for the subject, but I'm not sure internet and privacy goes together anymore. Even if you use a search engine that respect your privacy, what about your browser ? The add-ons of your browser ? Your antivirus ? The data that your OS collects and sends online ? And even if you achieve the ultimate privacy setup (Linux with tweaked settings, independent browser, open source softwares, etc...) what about your ISP ? You could always add a VPN but that seems a lot of hassle just for having Google and such not knowing your surfing habits and personal taste. And i'm not even talking about Smartphones and other IoT that collects your data like a fat cop eating donuts.

Unfortunately i think privacy online is dead. I don't like it, but it's the way it is. I just try and not to think about it, i don't have much to hide anyway. But i do miss the early days of the internet in the 90's ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.