Which registry items are protected by AppGuard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
Recently I am studying how to simulate the features of AppGuard with some other hips softwares.

Why AppGuard? Because some features of other anti-exe programs, such as command-line whitelist, is too hard for me to simulate:D.

The fact is that I like AG very much, but I am unable to purchase it owing to some boring cross-border payment issues.

Some features of AG, such as blocking executable files in user space, prevent guarded applications from writing to protected folders and prevent "private" guarded applications from reading the private folders, are not hard to simulate.

The problem is the registry.

We know AG prevents guarded applications from writing to protected registry items/keys/values.

But I do not know the exact registry items/keys/values that are protected by AG.

Only after knowing the items exactly can I write some hips rules to protect them.

So I hope experienced users could explain this to me.

Thank you.:)

Reactions: XhenEd
H

hjlbx

Recently I am studying how to simulate the features of AppGuard with some other hips softwares.

Why AppGuard? Because some features of other anti-exe programs, such as command-line whitelist, is too hard for me to simulate:D.

The fact is that I like AG very much, but I am unable to purchase it owing to some boring cross-border payment issues.

Some features of AG, such as blocking executable files in user space, prevent guarded applications from writing to protected folders and prevent "private" guarded applications from reading the private folders, are not hard to simulate.

The problem is the registry.

We know AG prevents guarded applications from writing to protected registry items/keys/values.

But I do not know the exact registry items/keys/values that are protected by AG.

Only after knowing the items exactly can I write some hips rules to protect them.

So I hope experienced users could explain this to me.

Thank you.:)

Blue Ridge Networks doesn't provide a list of protected registry keys, but if you submit a request to Barb at BRN she will most likely be of some assistance.

NOTE: Don't submit a request via technical support as you will get no help there; if you do request contact directly with Barb or goto Wilders Security and see if someone has a direct contact method.

Online_Sword

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
After reading the official documents of AG, I find that, the help document says:

Any user-application can be guarded as long as it follows Microsoft's recommended best practices and does not write to the HKLM registry hive or to certain system directories.

I think this means the registry item that are protected by AG should include HKEY_Local_Machine\*.

I have also checked the prevention log of AG. All the events related to registry have a similar form with the following,

09/08/15 01:23:42 Prevented <Google Chrome> from writing to <\registry\machine\software\wow6432node\google\update\clientstatemedium\{XXXXXX}\_numaccounts>.

I think this is consistent with my guess.:D

H

hjlbx

After reading the official documents of AG, I find that, the help document says:

I think this means the registry item that are protected by AG should include HKEY_Local_Machine\*.

I have also checked the prevention log of AG. All the events related to registry have a similar form with the following,

I think this is consistent with my guess.:D

From what I remember that is only part of the registry protection. To be perfectly honest, I don't precisely know since with AppGuard I never bothered to get that deep into the registry protections. I just took it at face value...

Reactions: Online_Sword
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.