Advice Request Which technique is best for a newbie cloning HDD to SSD?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
...I disocvered that a screw on the drive cover is rusted in place and cannot be removed....

Is it possible to put a small drop of penetrating oil on the rusted screw? I wouldn't use a spray can to apply it though.

Use the correct tool for your screw size. The point is to press firmly instead of forcibly turning it. It is also effective to tap the pressed driver lightly.

South Park

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I was wondering about Acronis True Image and will stay away!

You mentioned about using Paragon for partition management, they also have a copy/clone software too that is bundled with their latest partition software! Paragon Hard Disk Manager for Windows | Paragon Software (Seems to be still free!) BTW I love their tool and Mini Tool Partition Magic also!
From what I've been reading at different forums, Acronis seems to cause a lot of problems. I grabbed a copy of Paragon in case I need to do anything with the partitions on the SSD. Thanks for the tip.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I was wondering about Acronis True Image and will stay away!

You mentioned about using Paragon for partition management, they also have a copy/clone software too that is bundled with their latest partition software! Paragon Hard Disk Manager for Windows | Paragon Software (Seems to be still free!) BTW I love their tool and Mini Tool Partition Magic also!
I've used other software from both companies and never had a problem with any of them.

South Park

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Use the correct tool for your screw size. The point is to press firmly instead of forcibly turning it. It is also effective to tap the pressed driver lightly.
I got a much better screwdriver, and that worked, so the drive cover finally came off. I was surprised to see that the drive itself was mounted with four tiny Phillips screws, unlike how it appeared on an instructional video. The first three screws came out easily ... but the head of fourth was completely stripped. I couldn't even get it to engage with a tiny flathead screwdriver, and my hand got hurt again, so I had to put it all back with the malfunctioning HDD in place. The new SSD (which seems to have cloned OK except it has two EFI partitions) sits in a box. So far I have not been able to get a local computer repair shop to give me a quote because they say they don't do small jobs like this.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I got a much better screwdriver, and that worked, so the drive cover finally came off. I was surprised to see that the drive itself was mounted with four tiny Phillips screws, unlike how it appeared on an instructional video. The first three screws came out easily ... but the head of fourth was completely stripped. I couldn't even get it to engage with a tiny flathead screwdriver, and my hand got hurt again, so I had to put it all back with the malfunctioning HDD in place. The new SSD (which seems to have cloned OK except it has two EFI partitions) sits in a box. So far I have not been able to get a local computer repair shop to give me a quote because they say they don't do small jobs like this.
If you do not use a + screwdriver for the + screw, the risk of head injury increases. Don't overdo it. If you don't mind if the hdd body is damaged, you can also cut off the head of the screw that won't come off.
If you show me the picture, I think I can give you more accurate advice.

South Park

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
If you do not use a + screwdriver for the + screw, the risk of head injury increases. Don't overdo it. If you don't mind if the hdd body is damaged, you can also cut off the head of the screw that won't come off.
If you show me the picture, I think I can give you more accurate advice.
Thank you. I didn't try too much with the flathead screwdriver. The + head on the stuck screw has a "melted" look. I'll take a photo of the HDD the next time I open the compartment (after my hand improves a little).

I found the HDD was held in place by 5 very tiny + screws. The stuck one was at the bottom right; all the others came out easily.

Reactions: show-Zi

South Park

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
I did it! The hard drive failed today, with the computer completely unbootable. On close inspection, the HDD was held in place with a metal frame. After removing the four screws that I could, I was able to snap off the last one without damaging the drive bay. The new SDD fit right in and was held in place by a felt backing on the inside of the drive cover, so it isn't rattling around.

Thank you to all for your help and suggestions.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Great result!
original.gif

Reactions: South Park

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.