Question Which Ubo filters 2023 do you use ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

floalma

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 5, 2015
Hi friends,

filter list1.PNG

filter list2.PNG
This is an update to a previous thread here about Ubo filters lists.
These are my UBO filter lists.
Any comments or recommendations are welcome.
Thanks you for your contribution. (y)

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I would advise the reverse. Brave shields should be superior to uBO because it is not limited to Web nor Net request capabilities. I only use Brave shields on my Linux PC. The option to increase or lower the protection per website is really an usage advantage.

To be honest the benefits of NoScript and uBO medium mode on Chromium based browsers for security is something from the passed. The isolation is so much improved. So I really don't see a reason to use uBO with Brave.

I prefer uBlock Origin. It allows me to set “My Filters, My rules, trusted websites”. I can use the element picker if needed, and by making a backup file, you can easily set it up again if you have to for some reason. As far as I personally know Brave Shields does not allow that. Not to mention that support for uBlock Origin is better than for Brave Shields. (At least those very few times I needed support from them outside these forums.)

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Sorry, mis communication from my side probably.

With your static user rules and dynamic easy-medium mode to limit attack surface from third-party domains, you don't need the uBO malware / phishing blocklists.

I mentioned the uBO and abuse.ch url house database (link) just as an example (go check them out and you will see you block 95% of them).

It is better to do malware blocking at DNS level and add an extension of a security vendor, simply because their blacklists are 1000x larger than the blocklists of uBO

With above approach you already have multiple layers (definitely no need to add a malware/phishing blocklist to your adblocker)
  1. At DNS level (Quad9, NextDNS, Cloudflare 1.1.1.2)
  2. Google Safe browsing or Microsoft Smartscreen filter in your browser
  3. Extension from a reputable security vendor (Bitdefender, Emsisoft, Netcraft)
  4. Most AV-'s have some network filtering or https-scanning module/mechanism
  5. a) For URL's your third-party exposure reduction rules in uBO or AG
    b) For downloads with MOTW - smartscreen again

Malware and phishing links usually live shorter than 24 hours. The default update frequency of blocklists in adblockers is once a day (or once every 48 hours), which makes them near to useless for short lived malware URL blocking.
Thanks.

1. My ISP (Sky) has it's Broadband Shield DNS which has been good at blocking malicious or phishing pages but the DNS is locked with the ISP router so only possible to use other DNS is over HTTP.
2. Smartscreen used with Edge (Primary) and Google Safe via Firefox (secondary)
3. Thanks. I have started experimenting with Netcraft though BD TL is quite good.
4. My MD/DefenderUI/Cyberlock combo covers these. I keep swapping between WFC and CF.
5. Thanks for the info.

Updated my uBO filters.

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
I prefer uBlock Origin. It allows me to set “My Filters, My rules, trusted websites”. I can use the element picker if needed, and by making a backup file, you can easily set it up again if you have to for some reason. As far as I personally know Brave Shields does not allow that. Not to mention that support for uBlock Origin is better than for Brave Shields. (At least those very few times I needed support from them outside these forums.)
Everyone to his own preference, when you prefer uBO, than uBO is the best for you.

Brave shields also have user rules, you can add filters and best of all, set the shields per website. I use right click inspect. The ads that really give problems usually have randomized selectors, so the inspector does not work on these (well it works, but only for one time).

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
I've been wondering, if I activate medium mode on UBO with default settings, do all the filters still make sense? Does medium mode replace some filters or just add something extra to what is already there?

To know if I need to uncheck anything.
View

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
This is just anecdotal evidence and I cannot confirm this for sure but I have learned after lots of trial and error to uncheck the Adguard filters. They seem to be the primary cause why YouTube's anti-adblock message gets tripped. So I am now only using official uBlock, EasyList and Fanboy filters. That is in Firefox browser in Mac. Your mileage may vary depending on browser and OS.

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 03.49.48.png

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
I asked because I saw Very Easy Mode. I'm thinking that's the bare minimum. I understand that the minimum differs from person to person but can you make a configuration to consider with the combination of Very Easy Mode + Medium Mode? Is it risky?
With uBO Very Easy Mode you clear the way for suspicious and privacyviolating third parties. In my eyes a bad idea.

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
Does anyone know where the option: Block Outsider Intrusion into LAN is? Has it been removed or am I just blind?

Still using Yokofing's Pro Setup.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
I use several Adguard filters and have not seen any YouTube anti-adblock message yet. :unsure:
(uBO development build on Firefox)
The plot thickens. I know for me, that solved the issue in that browser, but I feel like maybe Google is A/B testing different detection mechanisms because I do use Adguard Pro in Safari (all filters enabled) and never had an anti-adblock message.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.