Advice Request Which VPN are you using? (2022)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Isn't proton very close to nord's parent company, and also gave logs due to a law suit( This one I am not very sure of, I think I received missinfo but what exactly happened ? )

Yes, in France :)
But it's ProtonMail and not ProtonVPN (it's certainly the same parent company, but not the same encryption protocols)

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Isn't proton very close to nord's parent company, and also gave logs due to a law suit( This one I am not very sure of, I think I received missinfo but what exactly happened ? )
Protonmail gave out data without a warrant in hands yes ( police called and promised them to get it later )

ProtonVPN so far not.

Proton VPN app was / is also Signed by Tesonet.
a Data gatherer which also heavily helped nord , Surfshark , and atlas i believe.
Here have a link with tons of info ( you can click lines and bubbles ! ) more or less most VPN are interconnected somehow only a few like MULLVAD/AZIRE/IVPN/OVPN/AIRVPN are 100% independent (top right here )

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
I just bought a lifetime subscription for FastestVPN.For my needs it is good enough ,as i use it on my Google Chromecast on my smart TV and on my second Android TV to watch Tubi,Plex and Crackle.And it's available for almost all devices.

cardenas

Level 1
Verified
May 20, 2019
Pia is from kape... wouldnt do that
Kape is fine.
Read: Taking a Closer Look at Kape Technologies, Crossrider, and Malware )

Protonmail gave out data without a warrant in hands yes ( police called and promised them to get it later )
Source?

ProtonVPN so far not.

Proton VPN app was / is also Signed by Tesonet.
a Data gatherer which also heavily helped nord , Surfshark , and atlas i believe.
Here have a link with tons of info ( you can click lines and bubbles ! ) more or less most VPN are interconnected somehow only a few like MULLVAD/AZIRE/IVPN/OVPN/AIRVPN are 100% independent (top right here )
The Proton & Tesonet relationship is misinformation. Proton has already addressed it 4 years ago ...
Read:

Last edited by a moderator:

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
their own Warranty canary via archive.org search it some years ago it was listed there as "We recieved a police call in a dangerous situation and handed data over on the believe we would recieve the warrant later" or so.

they later edited the warrant canary to make it sound different.

they even changed the URL to make it harder to find lol

here they even gave out data MULTIPLE times without a warrant or valid court order.

here

there are way more of these specially in the older archives.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
IMO, I'll choose VPNs with the following features

A) Privacy with no-log. Companies which comply with international law enforcement requests (NordVPN) and those which deletes your data after a short time period (SurfShark VPN, OVPN, Mullvad VPN, VPN.ac) are acceptable. Note that this is the priority feature. VPNs not meeting this criteria will not be listed even if they have the other below features
B) Runs on RAM disks which erases your data
C) Uses 10Gbps servers
D) Uses own servers or exert a high level of control over their servers
E) Multi-Hop feature, if needed
F) Can access in China
G) World-wide servers distribution on all continents, especially in the East
H) Have WireGuard or proprietary protocol (ExpressVPN's Lightway)
I) other features like ad/tracker blocking, split tunneling, NeuroRouting, movie streaming, pricing etc

Features like C) and H) are good for faster connection speed. Feature G) allows one to connect over shorter distances between servers, thus enhancing connection speed

Let's see how many VPNS meet all (or most) of the above criteria

A) No-Log VPNs

1) NordVPN (if you don't commit crime I see no reason why NordVPN should handover your data to the authorities)
2) ExpressVPN
3) VyprVPN
4) PerfectPrivacy
5) OVPN
6) SurfShark VPN. VPN.ac, Mullvad VPN and OVPN also erase some logs after the session ended. Read below
WireGuard VPN: Secure and Fast, But Bad for Privacy?
7) Mullvad VPN
8) VPN.ac
9) ProtonVPN
10) AzireVPN

B) RAM-Disk Servers

1) NordVPN
2) ExpressVPN.
3) SurfShark VPN.
4) PerfectPrivacy
5) AzireVPN
6) Mullvad VPN (only for WireGuard servers)

C) 10Gbps servers

1) NordVPN
2) ExpressVPN. Also, 40Gbps servers in the pipeline ExpressVPN Upgrades Servers To 10Gbps, 40Gbps In The Pipeline
3) SurfShark VPN
4) PotonVPN

D) Uses own servers or exert a high level of control over their servers

1) VyprVPN
2) NordVPN
3) ExpressVPN
4) VPN.ac
5) AzireVPN

E) Multi-Hop feature, if needed

1) NordVPN
2) SurfShark VPN
3) PerfectPrivacy
4) OVPN
5) Mullvad VPN
6) VPN.ac
7) Proton VPN

F) Can access in China. When times are good I visit China so this feature is important to me.

1) NordVPN
2) VyprVPN
3) ExpressVPN
4) SurfShark VPN
5) VPN.ac

G) World-wide servers distribution on all continents, especially in the East. I stay in the East so this feature is important to me

1) NordVPN
2) ExpressVPN
3) SurfShark VPN
4) ProtonVPN

H) Have WireGuard or proprietary protocol (ExpressVPN's Lightway)

1) NordVPN
2) SurfShark VPN
3) VyprVPN
4) ProtonVPN
5) OVPN
6) Mullvad VPN
7) VPN.ac
8) AzireVPN
9) ExpressVPN's Lightway

I) other features like ad/tracker blocking, split tunneling, NeuroRouting, movie streaming, pricing etc

To me these features are secondary

From the shortlisted VPNs and with feature A) it's not hard which VPNs I've subscribed

1) ExpressVPN
2) VyprVPN
3) SurfShark VPN

Note:- Any info you wish to add or confirm my data above is wrong, please highlight.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Reactions: Sorrento

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
For long years, I am on of the CG Fans ( I married with it)...after Kape bought many trusted VPN service (Express , PIA , CG...) I left my wife :(
Now I use Mullvad ( btw I trust IVPN & OVP& Tunnel Bear)...

Does Bullet VPN have the ability to start with Windows yet? I have a lifetime licence I think I got from Stack Social but found it not starting with Windows a bit of a pain??
Yes

Last edited:

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016

PIA Announces Completion of Independent Audit Conducted by a Big Four Firm​

Posted on Aug 30, 2022
Sadly you cant trust these... Surfshark was also multiple times audited yet they changed from no logs to some logs, pretty laughable that they still advertise no logs and adblocking on the level of browser extensions ( when its clearly only blocks "malicious" ads how they call them )

Iam using Privately Mullvad , and for streaming nord VPN ( but only for streaming )

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Sadly you cant trust these... Surfshark was also multiple times audited yet they changed from no logs to some logs, pretty laughable that they still advertise no logs and adblocking on the level of browser extensions ( when its clearly only blocks "malicious" ads how they call them )

Iam using Privately Mullvad , and for streaming nord VPN ( but only for streaming )

Mullvad Review​

Mullvad Logging Policy​

In this technological age, you can’t make two steps without someone logging your behavior. This is especially true for the Internet: the ISP, the governments, the hackers, and various companies trying to sell their product – they all want access to your personal data. That is why almost every single Virtual Private Network claims to follow the zero-logs (also known as the no-logs) policy.

Sadly, most VPN services do log users data and share it with the authorities. We already talked about the 14 Eyes alliance: Sweden is a part of it, and since Amagicom AB’s HQ is in that country, they have to provide your data to the government.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.