Advice Request Which VPN are you using? (2022)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Does Bullet VPN have the ability to start with Windows yet? I have a lifetime licence I think I got from Stack Social but found it not starting with Windows a bit of a pain??

Reactions: Nevi and franz

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
Windscribe custom 3$/month
100 different connection options, the only vpn that can actually connect in a public environment since standard protcals like open vpn and wireguard are all blocked. ( Nord and other bloated vpn only have 3 standard protcals )

Scirious

Level 2
Feb 22, 2022
Windscribe custom 3$/month
100 different connection options, the only vpn that can actually connect in a public environment since standard protcals like open vpn and wireguard are all blocked. ( Nord and other bloated vpn only have 3 standard protcals )
To what protocols or connection options are you referring to? As long as I remember, Windiscribe also uses OpenVPN and Wireguard.

Reactions: Sorrento

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Paid Surfshark. I won't be paying anymore because they started the whole "antivirus+vpn combined" thing. It feels bloated, and I started to get random logouts from my vpn account. But the speed is good. In the past I used windscribe and protonvpn.

Doesn't SurfShark feel bloated? Because of the AV integrated into their app?
I find that since Surfshark started adding more services the VPN has felt very bloated and also seems to be getting neglected in favour of the others. The VPN used to work very well, then they evolved into other areas and it seems to be getting left alone - look at the numerous bugs in it this year, often re-introduced from older releases.
  • Mullvad , just great overall , their Wireguard Implementation can also connect to problematic programs. but missing sadly a few locations i need and they dont want todo virtual servers :/
  • Bullet VPN quite good for lifetime , speed can vary ,good wire guard implementation like Mullvad
  • Ivacy VPN , Traffic throttling , full speed on speedtest.net 250/50 on a other speedtest website 100/50 throttled questionable background. Wireguard is very basic and not explained if the logging concerns are resolved ( but i doubt it ivacy is badly maintained )
  • NordVPN , fast but also a few issues like if you enable the Splittunneling any Ipv6 to ipv4 conversion instantly breaks , they handed data over to police also. Wireguard Implementation got issues with a few programs
  • Surfshark , Fast , but missing standard features , broken promises , support is kinda useless , Every patch brings new bugs , Surfshark is also heading in a Questionable direction. Wireguard Implementation got issues with a few programs
  • FastestVPN , just stay away , speed varys hard , software is super under developed.
  • Cyberghost , Slow , software is bloated , was good 10 years ago , part of kape tech.
  • Pia , fast speedy but also kape :/
  • Air VPN speedy , good client , probably the safest killswitch on windows there is but a bit dated.
  • Perfect privacy super expensive but great sadly no wireguard.
That is a good list.

I've been using Surfshark, but have had so many issues this year - 'subscription expired' when there is + 1 year remaining, Killswitch not working most of the time, being signed out randomly, having to re-install the software because nothing works at all and currently with v 4.2.2 I can't even get recognised by Surfshark systems. Their CS is rubbish - both the chatbot and email to other bots services. I've had very different suggestions at different times for solutions to the same bug. Currently I am being advised by CS to uninstall ProtonVPN. I've use Surfshark alongside other VPNs for the + 1.5 years that I've had it, they did not conflict previously. I've told them to fix their app, not blame other reliable VPNs. Now that Surfshark seem to be logging (I wonder if they have been forced to admit something) logging was a worry when they moved to the Netherlands, and the repeated issues with each new Windows release I do not recommend Surfshark at all. Surfshark has got worse since they started introducing other services and when it m re-located, coincidences maybe, but I suspect they are related. I'm not sure about being linked to Nord VPN either, Nord don't have a clean track record.

I use the above mentioned ProtonVPN, fairly expensive but it does seem to work reliable well.

Windscribe - I've had an account with them for years, for some reason I go off of them from time to time, nothing service related, which seems fairly reliable, its more of my sense of wanting to explore other options, but I keep returning to Windscribe, its in operation at this very moment.

I used to have Cyberghost, it worked well, but along with other VPNs owned by Kape I steer clear of it now.

Adguard VPN - this worked great when it first appeared, since then I've found it fluctuating from good to unusable to slightly better.... My main gripe with it is that their protocol seems to conflict badly with any other VPN, so it only works well on Windows for me when it is the only installed VPN. I can't help but think that this is rather anyi-competative!

Last edited:

jolt2

Jul 25, 2022
I find that since Surfshark started adding more services the VPN has felt very bloated and also seems to be getting neglected in favour of the others. The VPN used to work very well, then they evolved into other areas and it seems to be getting left alone - look at the numerous bugs in it this year, often re-introduced from older releases.

I've been using Surfshark, but have had so many issues this year - 'subscription expired' when there is + 1 year remaining, Killswitch not working most of the time, being signed out randomly, having to re-install the software because nothing works at all and currently with v 4.2.2 I can't even get recognised by Surfshark systems. Their CS is rubbish - both the chatbot and email to other bots services. I've had very different suggestions at different times for solutions to the same bug. Currently I am being advised by CS to uninstall ProtonVPN. I've use Surfshark alongside other VPNs for the + 1.5 years that I've had it, they did not conflict previously. I've told them to fix their app, not blame other reliable VPNs. Now that Surfshark seem to be logging (I wonder if they have been forced to admit something) logging was a worry when they moved to the Netherlands, and the repeated issues with each new Windows release I do not recommend Surfshark at all. Surfshark has got worse since they started introducing other services and when it m re-located, coincidences maybe, but I suspect they are related. I'm not sure about being linked to Nord VPN either, Nord don't have a clean track record.
I am using Surfshark and think you have covered all the points about Surfshark. I know I will not be renewing with Surfshark. The background services that were added with their bloated software and integrated Anti-virus run all the time. I feel like i am a beta tester for them and their AV product.

It seems almost impossible to find trustworthy reviews about VPNs. Mullvad can be trusted. I was checking into a newer VPN service called WeVPN. I do not see anyone, but review sites, say anything about WeVPN. Maybe someone on this forum has tried WeVPN and could help me with a reply about the service. I would be thankful for a true review.

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
I am using Surfshark and think you have covered all the points about Surfshark. I know I will not be renewing with Surfshark. The background services that were added with their bloated software and integrated Anti-virus run all the time. I feel like i am a beta tester for them and their AV product.

It seems almost impossible to find trustworthy reviews about VPNs. Mullvad can be trusted. I was checking into a newer VPN service called WeVPN. I do not see anyone, but review sites, say anything about WeVPN. Maybe someone on this forum has tried WeVPN and could help me with a reply about the service. I would be thankful for a true review.
Stay away from weVPN , its a Affiliation machine VPN which heavily censors their subreddit so very likely most media.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018

I get why you feel like a beta tester. I understand that It needs to evolve and beta testing will not reveal all bugs. Microsoft and many other providers treat users in a similar way, there are insiders testing new Microsoft tweaks yet come Update Tuesday, or whatever their update cycle is nowadays, we're often faced with bugs. However, I resent being treated like this when I have paid for a product. This year Surfshark have had many updates for their Windows VPN, each update brings new bugs, and/or re-introduces old ones. Their VPN evolved into 'One'. 'One' seems like a misnomer, everything (VPN, AV, Search,Alert) may all be rolled into 'One', but they are more than 'One'; very different products, all of which will have bugs and while they are integrated together they are probably introducing unrelated bugs to the particular software that an individual wants to use. I look at elements of the install process each time that I install a new VPN update, I've never asked for their AV, yet there are Surfshark AV elements on my device.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.