Advice Request Which VPN protocol do you use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

flaubert1971

Level 2
Oct 14, 2019
I have been a subscriber to PIA vpn for years. I used it with openvpn first, then since they introduced wireguard I have used this. I have activated the new PIA service of the dedicated IP address. In the client I alternate the DNS of PIA with NextDNS.

Regards

marcopaone

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 15, 2016
Bitdefender VPN , the only VPN that allows me to stream live tv from the Netherlands to Malaysia without any bufferingView attachment 267219
So Hotspot Shield :^)

I have been a subscriber to PIA vpn for years. I used it with openvpn first, then since they introduced wireguard I have used this. I have activated the new PIA service of the dedicated IP address. In the client I alternate the DNS of PIA with NextDNS.

Regards
I am a PIA customer since 3 years. Very satisfied. :D

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
It is slower.

Note: I'm using rarely a VPN on my laptop, rather sometimes on my mobile (iPhone).
F-Secure Freedome (1 year license from giveaway...), VPN protocol: OpenVPN (default), alternative option: IKEv2

View attachment 259630
Based on your screenshot, and what I have seen, all major VPN providers recommend OpenVPN-UDP or Wireguard.
So in normal conditions that speed with OpenVPN-UDP is good and also speed Wireguard is good, its ok to use Wireguard or OpenVPN-UDP, instead of TCP, is that correct?

In other words best overall is Wireguard, OpenVPN is more old and tested and if you have issues with your ISP about connection drops, you can use it with TCP.
Is that correct and valid advice?
Thanks.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I doubt anyone on this forum has anything to fear from the NSA. If they did they wouldn’t discuss cheap-o VPNs on a public forum.
Please don't give ideas to others to start on a paranoid level :ROFLMAO:

On a side note, only reason I use NORDVPN is mainly for work when I am not in my work environment and I need specific countries IPs to test some stuff. Aside from that, well occasional VPN trick for Netflix and BBC IPLAYER because for some unknown region despite where I am being considered British, we are not considered British to some services... go figure...

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
UDP vs TCP: what's best for your VPN speeds? | TechRadar UDP vs TCP: what's best for your VPN speeds?

"Most VPNs are frustratingly vague about potential UDP issues. They might tell you that switching to UDP 'could affect reliability', for instance, but that's about it.

There's a good reason for this, though: there are so many variables involved that it's impossible to be more specific. You might see different results depending on your distance from a server, for instance. Or the server load. Or the routing to the server. Or the network quality, or the network load. There's no definitive answer here - it'll be different for everybody.

UDP problems you might see include more difficulty connecting to VPN servers, or noticeably reduced speeds when you are connected. These might happen only rarely, though, and as they can be caused by many other factors, you shouldn't immediately assume UDP is the problem.

The best approach is just to try it and see. If there's a speed boost, great. If you see new problems, just switch back to TCP and carry on as normal."

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I was using Nord until they became way too proud of their product.
Don't get me wrong I believe using a paid VPN is much better than a free one but you shouldn't have to fork over your first born child for a good VPN.
It's a good VPN but I think the popularity of it went to their heads and now they they think they have permission to reach for your wallet.

I am using KeepSolid these days , very satisfied with the service, no issues , the lifetime subscription didn't drain my bank account and it does what it says.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi and Sorrento

Slerion

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
I was using Nord until they became way too proud of their product.
Don't get me wrong I believe using a paid VPN is much better than a free one but you shouldn't have to fork over your first born child for a good VPN.
It's a good VPN but I think the popularity of it went to their heads and now they they think they have permission to reach for your wallet.

I am using KeepSolid these days , very satisfied with the service, no issues , the lifetime subscription didn't drain my bank account and it does what it says.
Nord and surfshark and the likes can be had for 0€ all the time ( they offer 70-100% cashbacks often ) damn i saw them the last few weeks offering a lot of times 105-120% cashback literarily paying you to subscribe.

if you subscribe to these "main stream vpn" via their normal plans .... you didnt check for deals.

• Wow
Reactions: Nevi and peterfat11

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.