Which Windows Firewall Interface do you use/recommend and why?

Which Windows Firewall Interface do you use/recommend?

• Tinywall

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Glasswire

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Sphinx Windows 10 Firewall Control

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Windows Firewall Notifier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • (Standard Windows Interface / none)

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • other (please comment)

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

Spiritus Sancti

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2016
I want to use the normal Windows Firewall with an extra Interface for better usability & especially "outbound notifications".

Which one do you use/recommend and why?

Price & Links
Tinywall: Free
BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control: Full version -> 10€ for all your PC's
Glasswire: Full version -> 49$/license; 99$/3 licenses
Sphinx Windows 10 Firewall Control: Basic version -> ~19$/license; Plus version -> ~30$/license; Network/cloud version -> ~50$++
Windows Firewall Notifier (WFN): Free

Tinywall looks nice, I have to take a closer look! Are here users of this software?

BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control is my favorite, 10€ for unlimited licenses is a good price.

I used Glasswire Free till today, but I would have to upgrade for outbound notifications and I need at least two licenses; 99$ is a little bit to much for me.

Sphinx Windows 10 Firewall Control - the free version seems to be okay in features. Are here users of this software?

Windows Firewall Notifier went open source because the developer doesn't have enough time for this project.

I will take a closer look at Tinywall and Sphinx, and then decide. But my favorite now is: BiniSoft.

Edit: Maybe move this thread to "Compare Software & Apps"

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Tinywall's strength or weakness (depending on the user's preference) is its no-alert policy. If something is blocked from accessing the internet, it is blocked with no notification whatsoever. You still have to find out why a program has no internet access. But of course, Tinywall is easy to learn and use. The obvious advantage is if malware infects your computer and tries to connect outbound, it will be blocked immediately without you sweating.

I voted Binisoft's WFC. :)

Ana_Filiz

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 23, 2016
I voted GlassWire as i have a PRO license for this. I like its alerts, UI and the geo-location of the outbound and inbound process that asks for connection. It also keeps logs of the connections. GlassWire is not quite a firewall but likely a Network Monitoring software.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
If you do go with WFC just Never Ever change it to Low Filtering. This mode will allow things like a hollowed svchost to connect without issue. Keeping it at the recommended Medium will protect.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
it depends what your skills are : I myself am not a big fan of these so called win firewall enhancers. I would use zonealarm free if you are a novice because of it's ease of use. if you are more advanced I would use comodo firewall with @cruelsister settings , no alerts whatsoever and your pc will as protected like fort knox! sister has made a tutorial on how to set up comodo properly so it's much more easier to use.
here is the link for the comodo firewall setup , I was talking about :

https://malwaretips.com/threads/comodo-firewall-8-2-0-4508-setup-and-test-part-2.46159/

Spiritus Sancti

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 6, 2016
I myself am not a big fan of these so called win firewall enhancers
Why?

One more general question, not just to Trickster:
What are the advantages/disatvantages of using the Windows Firewall (+"Enhancer") or using a 3rd party Firewall?

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
it's just a personal preference , I just do not feel safe with " just " the windows firewall or " just " windows defender. I used envorim ( also a win firewall booster ) this invades your privacy even more than windows 10 does , binisoft windows firewall control lacks in protection and tinywall did mess up my internet connection. I currently use comodo internet security with cruelsisters settings and that makes me feel safe. but that does not mean that the same goes for you. don't get me wrong , but you might have other preferences than I do ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.