Q&A Why aren't NoVirusThanks' free programs open source?

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
I could understand why their paid products like their Anti-EXE is not FOSS, but if they are going to create free tools to use, why not make them open source?

bjm_

Level 3
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft
It is an interesting read, but I don't really see what it has to do with FOSS as its true to all truly free software. If NVT doesn't sell any data they collect, meaning they aren't making money off their free products, I don't see how its any different to have it open source.
I hope NoVirusThanks is making money off their (free) products.

SHvFl

Level 33
Content Creator
Trusted
MH Trial
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
Because NVT uses the free products as a beta platform to improve their enterprise product and it would make 0 sense for them to give the code for them as it would probably kill the company.

NoVirusThanks

From NoVirusThanks
Developer
OS
Windows 10
@LukeLovesSecurity

Out of our 70 free software, 0 of them collects users data and only a few check a version.ini file on our server to see if there are new versions available (i.e. ERPv3) and notify the user. So far only ERPv3 (paid) is remained that needs the user email to activate it, but ERPv4 may be released as freeware. We're not a media agency, we're a small IT company that likes to develop software and web tools, we really have no interest in users data or similar =)

Last edited:
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
@LukeLovesSecurity

Out of our 70 free software, 0 of them collects users data and only a few check a version.ini file on our server to see if there are new versions available (i.e. ERPv3) and notify the user. So far only ERPv3 (paid) is remained that needs the user email to activate it, but ERPv4 may be released as freeware. We're not a media agency, we're a small IT company that likes to develop software and web tools, we really have no interest in users data or similar =)
That's good to hear, I'm glad NVT doesn't take on from Microsoft :p