Advice Request Why aren't NoVirusThanks' free programs open source?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
I could understand why their paid products like their Anti-EXE is not FOSS, but if they are going to create free tools to use, why not make them open source?

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
It is an interesting read, but I don't really see what it has to do with FOSS as its true to all truly free software. If NVT doesn't sell any data they collect, meaning they aren't making money off their free products, I don't see how its any different to have it open source.
I hope NoVirusThanks is making money off their (free) products.

Reactions: askmark

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Because NVT uses the free products as a beta platform to improve their enterprise product and it would make 0 sense for them to give the code for them as it would probably kill the company.

NoVirusThanks

From NoVirusThanks
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Aug 23, 2012
@LukeLovesSecurity

Out of our 70 free software, 0 of them collects users data and only a few check a version.ini file on our server to see if there are new versions available (i.e. ERPv3) and notify the user. So far only ERPv3 (paid) is remained that needs the user email to activate it, but ERPv4 may be released as freeware. We're not a media agency, we're a small IT company that likes to develop software and web tools, we really have no interest in users data or similar =)

Last edited:

LukeLovesSecurity

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
@LukeLovesSecurity

Out of our 70 free software, 0 of them collects users data and only a few check a version.ini file on our server to see if there are new versions available (i.e. ERPv3) and notify the user. So far only ERPv3 (paid) is remained that needs the user email to activate it, but ERPv4 may be released as freeware. We're not a media agency, we're a small IT company that likes to develop software and web tools, we really have no interest in users data or similar =)

That's good to hear, I'm glad NVT doesn't take on from Microsoft :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.