Hot Take 'Why buy more Google One storage when lifetime cloud storage is a thing?'

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I’ve been a Google One subscriber for a while now, opting for the 100GB plan after Google stopped unlimited high-quality backups in Photos. But between my personal usage, photos/videos from review units, and family members on my plan, I realized that 100GB wouldn’t be enough.

Upgrading to 200GB or more seemed like the obvious next step. But I’ve opted against an upgrade in favor of a different cloud backup and storage solution altogether. Here’s why I chose pCloud lifetime storage and how it’s worked for me.

I eventually made the decision to buy a 500GB lifetime cloud storage account via pCloud. This came in at a “special price” of $199, although I’m not sure whether the company ever charges the $570 full price. Part of what convinced me was that pCloud is Swiss-based and has been around since 2014, with the latter boding well for its longevity.

For the record, I agree with the comments. Sharing for awareness.​

Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 17.13.30.png

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Personally, I consider lifetime licenses to be a wise financial decision. Lifetime licenses offer significant discounts and long-term financial savings, making them a substantial investment
This is 100% true providing the company can sustain providing lifetime licenses and doesn't either go out of business or stop honouring them.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I got 1TB lifetime during Black Friday for $90, the yearly 1TB price of most services is much higher.
No one really expects lifetime licenses to last a lifetime, but even a temporary lifetime is well worth it.

People usually argue against cloud that you can buy a disk or two, but those disks can get stolen, damaged, corrupted or you just leave them at home.
Cloud services backup data in multiple locations, it is not like it is saved on 1 disk, you have multiple backups for "free" available anywhere, anytime.
Some people are concerned about privacy, like laptop/phone searches at the border. If you use cloud, you just remove the app and then reinstall it.

Reactions: Nevi and dinosaur07

Fuzzy_Bunny

Level 4
Sep 19, 2019
Once i bought VPN lifetime. Forgot which company. After a few months, servers were getting slower i couldn't get half of speed i used to get. Everytime i contacted support they said it was issue on my side etc... Once they get your money and once "X day money-back guarantee" is over they don't care about you anymore. No more lifetime of anything for me anymore

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017

Reactions: Nevi

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Lifetime Cloud storage plans are NEVER lifetime, Cloud storage providers are way too flakey, here today, gone tomorrow and your money too.
The best thing one can do is purchase your own 8+TB external cloud drive and back your stuff up yourself, never back up to the cloud what you cannot afford to lose, paid plan or not, because chances are if you do, someday you probably will.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
ADrive and Bitcasa lifetime cloud storage plans are gone for me. Lifetime is fleeting.

If you're willing to give pCloud a shake, they have a 2 TB Lifetime offer this weekend for 279 (USD). That's sorely tempting, but my backup software only offers WebDAV to that provider. At Google One that would run nearly 10 (USD) a month.

Last edited:

LM77

Level 1
Verified
Sep 11, 2016
Judging from my admittedly limited experience, having purchased a fair number of (greatly discounted) lifetime licenses, both in the cloud and for regular software products, in the VAST majority of cases these things do collapse. However - and this was my motivation for purchasing such licenses - ALL of these products lasted for about 2-3 years at least (and I think that a priori that's a reasonable assessment of how long most such things can plausibly be expected to last). And at the prices I paid for them, under the assumption they would last this long but not necessarily longer, in the end I came out with very good deals...

Reactions: dinosaur07 and Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.