Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
They're overpriced. The competition offers the similar specs devices at much lower price.
You could say your response is valid, but macOS (OS X) is an operating system software. Apple's macOS is free for any of their supported systems.

Any other reason, other than pricing of their hardware?

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
You could say your response is valid, but macOS (OS X) is an operating system software. Apple's macOS is free for any of their supported systems.

Any other reason, other than pricing of their hardware?
Lack of some of the apps maybe but alternatives for most of them is available so you can say pricing is the only main reason for me. I'd say my response is valid because MacOS can be installed only on Apple's hardware legally or via Virtual Machine(Correct me if I'm wrong here). And if I've to pay for higher priced hardware to use MacOS when I can get Windows device for cheaper, I'd stick with Windows.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
My problems are basically the ones pointed in other posts here. The hardware that can legally run it is way overpriced. In my country I could buy a car for the price of a Mac. It also lacks software I use on a daily basis and the Mac alternatives lack functions I need.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1/ price
2/ can't play games
3/ doesn't support writing to NTFS drive by default. Read only. an app must be installed for writting to NTFS, duh!
4/ boring
5/ doesn't have all softwares I need. Mac users usually install windows and use it when they need to do specific tasks. Why not using windows in the first place?
6/ Macbook doesn't have as many USB ports as I want. When I plugged in my USB, it always got overheated even without doing anything. Never happens with windows
7/ easily overheated. Many macbooks don't have a proper cooling system due to their power efficiency. However when we perform heavy tasks, we can fry an egg on it
8/ lack of expandability
9/ apple after 2011
10/ expensive accessories

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
1/ price
2/ can't play games
3/ doesn't support writing to NTFS drive by default. Read only. an app must be installed for writting to NTFS, duh!
4/ boring
5/ doesn't have all softwares I need. Mac users usually install windows and use it when they need to do specific tasks. Why not using windows in the first place?
6/ Macbook doesn't have as many USB ports as I want. When I plugged in my USB, it always got overheated even without doing anything. Never happens with windows
7/ easily overheated. Many macbooks don't have a proper cooling system due to their power efficiency. However when we perform heavy tasks, we can fry an egg on it
8/ lack of expandability
9/ apple after 2011
10/ expensive accessories
Yes, it's true that MacBook/Pro and its accessories are expensive. But the new upcoming MacBook Pro 2017 is rumored to have 4xUSB-C ports. Wait till you use the MS SP3/4(like me) with only 1 USB port then you'll value yours.

But OS X is supposed to be much secure than Windows, no? So not many security software will be required.

212eta

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
May 11, 2011
-Limited Software availability (compared with Windows)
-High Price

valvaris

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 26, 2015
OSx only available with Apple overpriced HW (OS Hardware ID bind) - (Hackentosh is not an exception since that is not intended!)

Marketshare very low -> Operating system market share

This shows that acceptance is very low and that devs. or other industry leaders go for a platform were there are more users potential costumers plus that is also why windows gets attacked allot!!! = more to gain ;)

Other reason why OSx does not please users... Is something stupid but in Germany very common - Schoolsystem - Things ppl get in touch with very fast (Windows) - Since ppl get used to a system from the get go it is hard to switch from Windows to OSx since ecosystem is different and using the OS is different.

Microsoft did the right thing ->

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

For me, it is very simple, don't have that kind of money(yet):)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Simply because majority of task are already dependable with Windows, therefore no need for another OS.

Also if you will use for casual task only then so many Linux Derivatives which can handle well from performance, reliability and even customization.

------------------------

The security aspect of Mac OS X seems overrated without acknowledging the possible improvements, no OS is full proof but the idea on immediate fixes should solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.