Why does Trendmicro has a few home users?

amir 957

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Hi
i have lately tried Trendmicro Internet Security and it is running smooth on my PC and provides really great protection
I wonder why does Trendmicro has a small number of home users compared to Kaspersky,Bitdefender ,Eset and etc
Even here in MalwareTips i haven't seen that someone suggest Trendmicro so far and almost all advanced users, prefer kaspersky,emsisoft and other AVs.
When it comes to enterprise protection, many companies use Trendmicro and they have good market share
So, what is the reason?
is it because the TM isn't good at home products or it's buggy or what?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
If I recall correct, the last tests in the Hub a few months ago TM was very consistent and strong. Still, the brand has a bit of bad reputation because of it's official history.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Its popularity in Japan is quite high, and it seems that there are quite a few users. However, once they know about the existence of other security software, they tend to be excluded from the selection.
I speculate that those who are not very familiar with pc and feel a little uneasy with WD are the main users.

For a short period of time, the impression I used was heavy anyway. The price is not much different from software such as Kaspersky. If this happens, there is no reason to actively choose Trend Micro.

davisd

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2019
Trend Micro fills PC with much unneeded stuff, logos, images, other things, which are not to be found in software itself and GUI. More problematic is their uninstaller wich doesn't take care of leftovers as well. Trend for consumers is not very well optimized and lacks frequent their software updates which should adress performance improvements, there are none. Protection wise it's just like every other default-allow AV, but it's not that great and useful-feature rich to sacrifice your PC resources. For those and other reasons I do not recommend Trend, at least for now.

IkariGradius

Level 2
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
Hi there! Anyone interested in buying my Trendmicro Internet Security? I got one which is valid for more than 5years coz I worked before with TrendMicro, send me a message if you're constantly renewing your serial for $39.95 I'll give you a good deal.. thanks.. its for 3 computers and its valid for more than 5years I wont tell you exactly when it's going to expire it's for you to find out =)

Brand new account which his first and only post is trying to sell a license. What could go wrong ?

No offense if you are indeed legit, but that sounds shady.

IkariGradius

Level 2
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
In all honesty, i think the news regarding their ties or poor privacy has little to do with their popularity as a home security product. It's important for gals and guys like us over here at MalwareTips, but we're a minority in the potential customers for Trend Micro.

It seems Trend Micro are mostly focused on their business products and services, and have little interest in their home products. In Japan they are a big deal and they have a decent marketing the US (they have a deal with Best Buy), but they are still unknown from most end users.

As for other countries they are mostly never sold on Amazon or local stores and never advertise anywhere online. If you go on their various European websites, besides the UK, they still haven't put forward their 2020 version, and choosing their password manager on the product list still greets you with a "new for 2017".

Otherwise I think Trend Micro is a good choice for users that don't care much about privacy, as they offer very good protection, good cloud engine, nice UI. It's just that there are better and far more popular alternatives...

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I used it for some time but gave up on it about 2 years or more ago, a very fussy program to setup & i disliked it's interface plus I read about the security holes, I had unused legit licenses but a few weeks ago when having a clear out I deleted them. Says everything I feel,

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
It seems Trend Micro are mostly focused on their business products and services, and have little interest in their home products. In Japan they are a big deal and they have a decent marketing the US (they have a deal with Best Buy), but they are still unknown from most end users.

In the past, Trend Micro has been focusing on advertising for home users in Japan. Its influence is enormous, and many people misunderstand that Trend Micro is a Japanese company.

IkariGradius

Level 2
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
In the past, Trend Micro has been focusing on advertising for home users in Japan. Its influence is enormous, and many people misunderstand that Trend Micro is a Japanese company.

Awesome video with a strong positive vibe, as usual with Japan (y)

Trend Micro is however a mystery as to where they are really based. Sure they are "technically" headquartered in Japan, but i'm not sure we can call them a Japanese company. They where established by in the United States by Taiwanese people, but then moved their headquarters to Japan... which is weird as there where no one aboard that was Japanese or had connection there to my knowledge. I also guess they have ties with China as they do business there, but it's a fact they also have strong ties with the US intelligence. They also have offices and workers in a lot of countries and seem more diverse than other security companies. It almost feels that Trend Micro doesn't have a home country...

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Awesome video with a strong positive vibe, as usual with Japan (y)

Trend Micro is however a mystery as to where they are really based. Sure they are "technically" headquartered in Japan, but i'm not sure we can call them a Japanese company. They where established by in the United States by Taiwanese people, but then moved their headquarters to Japan... which is weird as there where no one aboard that was Japanese or had connection there to my knowledge. I also guess they have ties with China as they do business there, but it's a fact they also have strong ties with the US intelligence. They also have offices and workers in a lot of countries and seem more diverse than other security companies. It almost feels that Trend Micro doesn't have a home country...
I agree. an impression of statelessness. The nationality of the company that makes the software doesn't matter, but it is meaningful to know the country of production in order to understand the background to the production.

Great video. 🤪 Sugoi...
This promotional video shows how it works in the cloud. However, if you install it expecting that, you can feel a big deceleration immediately.:rolleyes:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.