Advice Request Why is my M.2 SSD boot time is slow?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

sepik

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Hi,
I have Lenovo Desktop PC with M.2 256GB nvme. So it SHOULD boot faster that typical SATA SSD.
According to bootracer, my boot time is 25 seconds. Is it by desing of M.2 or wtf is going in there, because my friend oldie but goldie i3 notebook with 120gb sata ssd boots within 5-7 second to windows.
Finally found a solution. Managed to get 25 sec -> 15 second boot time reduction, because several folders in %windir% were "compressed" by the OS (system32 etc). So while booting, those folders and files within has to have uncompressed during bootup realtime.
So uncompressing those Folders saves 10 second of my boot time.
The Mystery is that why those folders was packed in a first place..
Oh well :D
-sepik

AlexCa

From Windows Repair Toolbox
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
Just a shot in the dark here, but check if "Compress this drive to save disk space" is checked under C:\ properties (normally it shouldn't):

Reactions: sepik and plat

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Hi,
I have Lenovo Desktop PC with M.2 256GB nvme. So it SHOULD boot faster that typical SATA SSD.
According to bootracer, my boot time is 25 seconds. Is it by desing of M.2 or wtf is going in there, because my friend oldie but goldie i3 notebook with 120gb sata ssd boots within 5-7 second to windows.
Finally found a solution. Managed to get 25 sec -> 15 second boot time reduction, because several folders in %windir% were "compressed" by the OS (system32 etc). So while booting, those folders and files within has to have uncompressed during bootup realtime.
So uncompressing those Folders saves 10 second of my boot time.
The Mystery is that why those folders was packed in a first place..
Oh well :D
-sepik
NVMe boot speed is very slow because PCIe takes some time to initialise but that delay is somewhat reduced thanks to huge Read IO speed but eventually it results in slow boot on Linux,Windows and OS X. I have W10 on NVMe drive and it takes 15 secs-30 sec with only 4 apps at startup and have tried with 0 apps the same things happen.
I used SATA M.2 on Linux and it boots in 5 secs flat! And Windows should be similar too!

Reactions: sepik and plat

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I have a Samsung M.2 with 91% free disk space, no compression, fast startup disabled, most services (like NVIDIA) except for MSI Afterburner and security programs disabled at startup. Here is my boot time--this also counts the amt of time Windows takes to get things together after the desktop loads.

Oh well, I'd rather have the fast disk rates than an extra 5 sec. shaved off startup, especially since one can't really improve unless you do fast startup. No way with that either.

sepik

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
@plat1098
My bootracer boot time is 16 sec, even with i have GData which causes some boot delays. Sure i have many programs that loads during boot up but i've used Avira SpeedUP Pro to make them "delayed start". This shaved off couple of seconds.
-sepik

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
@plat1098
My bootracer boot time is 16 sec, even with i have GData which causes some boot delays. Sure i have many programs that loads during boot up but i've used Avira SpeedUP Pro to make them "delayed start". This shaved off couple of seconds.
-sepik
Doesn't really make a difference to NVMe it reads at a speed of 1GB/s or more so most apps are less than that!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.