Advice Request Why is only one of my Windows OS working

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Lettuceface

Thread author
Sep 23, 2021
So every time I boot up my computer only one Operating System works. It offers me Volume 3 Or Volume 2. I always have it to default to volume 3 but that completely stopped working and black screened before login. So I changed to volume 2 and now it works and lets me go to login and go to desktop just fine. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? I've cleaned my pc and unplugged unnecessary things. Nothing is wrong with my displays or connection. Just now Windows Operating system volume 3 doesn't work anymore. Some articles say there should only be one OS but I don't know how to get that. And I am scared I am going to delete the working one and get stuck with the broken one. Idk...Any ideas?

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
So you have two Windows installations, are they installed on the same drive, that has two partitions or two
separate drives?

Something similar happen to me, I have Windows 10 installed on one SDD and Windows 11 on another SSD.
At boot up, I had to select either Volume 2 or Volume 3, and it would load either OS.

After Windows 11 did an update, I could not boot into Windows 10 anymore. The solution was to remove
the Windows 11 SSD from my system and my Windows 10 booted up fine.

You can also try disabling one of your drives in your BIOS. Provided you are using two different drive for the OS installs.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So every time I boot up my computer only one Operating System works. It offers me Volume 3 Or Volume 2. I always have it to default to volume 3 but that completely stopped working and black screened before login. So I changed to volume 2 and now it works and lets me go to login and go to desktop just fine. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else? I've cleaned my pc and unplugged unnecessary things. Nothing is wrong with my displays or connection. Just now Windows Operating system volume 3 doesn't work anymore. Some articles say there should only be one OS but I don't know how to get that. And I am scared I am going to delete the working one and get stuck with the broken one. Idk...Any ideas?
If your computer is supposed to be a simple, straightforward setup, with a single version of Windows as your only operating system, then you might consider running the Macrium Reflect Boot repair tool, in order to fix your booting issues.

If you have a multi-boot system, and all of your operating systems are Windows, then Macrium Reflect Boot repair tool should be able to handle that, too. You will be presented with an option to choose the default or primary operating system for the boot process.

Reactions: CyberTech and Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.