Advice Request Why it isn’t a good idea to run multiple full antivirus products at the same time

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Do you run multiple full AVs at same time?

• Yes

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • No

Votes: 72 81.8%
  • No but i did in the past.

Votes: 13 14.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I remembered that @Umbra was a true wizard in combining the most unspeakable security softs together , making them compatible so they could run alongside eachother without trouble :ROFLMAO::X3:(y):p
You have a good memory, hahahaha

They were good'ol days, i still have some combos in mind (making Fort Know look like a farm fence), that would work but they are quite silly and honestly, not worth the deployment. :p

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
People still do this. I was talking to my friend who does repairs. He says he deals with this all the time. Average Joe's mentality is "Multiple AVs = multi-layered protection = better protection." Average Joe doesn't know any better.
Well actually "Multiple AV = Multi-layered Protection" is a misconception, it is better to call it "Multiple AV = Overlapping and Conflicting Protection"

Well of course we know this but the average home user basically doesn't.

But I do agree though, that a multi-layered protection is better than a full AV, except if you have something like Kaspersky Internet Security that has powerful features to call it almost as a complete multi-layered protection.
KIS maybe is almost complete, because it lacks Backup, Virtualization (like Shadow Defender), anti-exe (like VoodooShield), and etc. Well correct me if I'm wrong.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
You have a good memory, hahahaha

They were good'ol days, i still have some combos in mind (making Fort Know look like a farm fence), that would work but they are quite silly and honestly, not worth the deployment. :p
Could you share some of those good memories? :p

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
It is interesting to note that Emsisoft, formerly A-Squared (I was a fan of A-Squared! Some of Emsi's files/dlls still carry "a2" in their filenames) was originally made to complement other antivirus solutions, making it compatible to many AV in many years.

Yet in recent years, it was made as a full independent Antimalware, not to be run alongside any other AV, maybe starting in version 8 or 9?

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I think running two is not only ok but provides better protection as long as one is signature based and one is not.

In fact I remember reading here Two Solution Strategy (Trend & Cylance) - Anti-Virus, Anti-Malware, and Privacy Software that it was even recomended by a couple of the guys from Cylance:

"Richard here from Cylance. Glad to see you are POCing CylancePROTECT. In the case of running two AVs, Cylance is more than capable of running in a layered environment. Because our methodology is quite a bit different than those of traditional AV, they services won't be interfering with each other. Your deployment method is actually one we recommend to many of the new customers coming on board as well."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65228

Thread author
@Kubla Generally speaking, running multiple full-suite security solution installations at once is a bad idea and is asking for nothing but trouble. At the end of the day, it depends how they work. Cylance aren't saying you should run multiple Anti-Virus products, they're merely debating their own product and saying it is compatible with some other third-party traditional security solutions. There's a difference.

It's a well known fact that 2+ Anti-Virus suites = high potential for trouble. Some problems are of the past (e.g. quarantine conflicts), other problems are in the present (conflict of behavioural analysis interception, virtualisation usage, an AV trying to block activity by another AV, etc.). Conflict issues can lead to data loss (via corruption from unexpected BSODs) or in worst case scenarios, unbootable system. You might not even be aware if a conflict is on-going, then bam, you get hit with trouble.

If a product is designed to be ran alongside an full AV suite, then sure. If not, bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
I installed Bitdefender Total Security and Avast Premiere last month and I had to reset the laptop.It's almost impossible to uninstall either anti-virus since Laptop became extremely slow!

Windows Defender Shill

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2017
More the merrier I say!

But not really

Anti Viruses are extremely territorial

If you desire additional protection, use a dedicated second option such as V-shield, Malwarebytes, Zemana, HitmanPro etc

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
@Kubla Double CIA setup. :unsure:
That is smart, one CIA soft will check if the other CIA one was doing its job properly :p

Joke apart, not sure if the CIA is really using using them as spy tools, they just funded them, which isn't always sign of active cooperations, but who knows...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 65228

Thread author
not sure if the CIA is really using using them as spy tools, they just funded them, which isn't always sign of active cooperations, but who knows...
I agree with you, maybe the government have interest in using them instead of as a spy tool and that could be why they funded it. But it isn't every day the government fund a project, where's the funding for me huh?! :p After all they must want something back in exchange but I doubt we will find out what exactly that is for Cylance... because surely they won't dish out millions for nothing, probably of tax money paid by the citizens lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.