Advice Request Why sandbox is important

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Sometimes I see configurations that lack of sandbox layer. Sandbox concept is very important against malware, especially when browsing the web, Sandboxie (avalaible also for free) is my favourite sandbox software, basically with our browser sandboxed even if we accidentally visit a malicious URL that downloads a malicious payload then our real OS is protected from it. Browser security and security extensions can fail and miss a malicious URL. Sandbox software are also good to test new software, now it is avalaible also Windows Sandbox which for me is also good. The browser must be the first line of defense; unfortunately sandbox layer doesn't protect us from phishing sites, for this we have security extensions and common sense.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I'm trying out Sandboxie (free edition).

Are there any other decent sandboxes available ? I've heard about Comodo but as I use a different AV suite with its own firewall I don't think it would be compatible with my system.

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I just wish Sandboxie had lifetime licences !

I don't see any viable alternatives out there. I run Kaspersky and that includes "safemoney" which runs your browser in a protected form which may or may not be a full sandbox which offers the same protection as Sandboxie.- I just cant tell ?

I've also tried out Browser in the Box which is quite innovative- not a sandbox, but it runs a browser in a linux virtual machine.
Desktop Security

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I've never used anything like this, i suppose i have been lucky to never to have been affected by anything malicious. At the moment i am using FSecure and it offers browsing protection ............. is this the same thing or should i be using a sandbox of some sort ?

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I've never used anything like this, i suppose i have been lucky to never to have been affected by anything malicious. At the moment i am using FSecure and it offers browsing protection ............. is this the same thing or should i be using a sandbox of some sort ?
It's not the same as a sandbox. With a sanbox everything you do is virtual.
If your antivirus is compatible I recommend it.:giggle:

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
About your question, i don't use F-Secure but I don't think it is similar to a sandbox.

Thanks for the clarification (y)
I often wonder when i see the configs etc on here that i should up my game a bit but so far i have kept things to a minimum with no real problems. As i say, i may just have been lucky but i don't do anything risky online so i think my security alone with a few extensions is probably enough for me. :)

It's not the same as a sandbox. With a sanbox everything you do is virtual.
If your antivirus is compatible I recommend it.:giggle:

Don't confuse me @bribon77, i've just talked myself out of it, lol.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
In my opinion, sandboxing a browser is overkill. The chances of all these components failing is like 0.1%:

1. User's common sense (don't click on suspicious email links, don't go looking for illegal software/content, etc)
2. Browser's own filter (Google Safe Browsing, Smartscreen, etc)
3. Dedicated extension (EBS, WDBP, etc) or DNS (Neustar, Quad9, etc...)
4. Antivirus or default-deny

A sandboxing solution is useful, but far from necessary.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
In a nutshell, if you've gone this long without Sandboxie, you might as well not bother, especially if you're on fully updated Windows 10, don't have chronic malware/adware issues and already have a comprehensive antivirus like Kaspersky IS. If you still use Internet Explorer with flash player a lot, definitely. Is the writing on the wall for Sbie? I use the pd version out of habit and placebo effect, it's a staple on here. But its hey-day seems to be in the past.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you are a diplomat on an upatched version of Internet Explorer, then you need sandboxing.
As for the rest of us... sandboxing your updated and modern browser is a really cool tweak, but don't fool yourself. It is not necessary.

If you have no AV or other security, then Sandboxie can be used to prevent your downloads from infecting the system. With paid SBIE you can protect your whole system, if you know how. But it's a pain.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Sandboxing is an important part of the security, but nowadays, most web browsers have in-built sandboxes, already. Using something like ReHIPS or Sandboxie can be useful, especially when the people have to (or want to) use the popular & vulnerable software, or applications which use popular & vulnerable open source libraries, or unsafe applications (cracks, pirated soft).
Generally ReHIPS is more compatible with Windows, but Sandboxie sandbox can be more restrictive. For example, Sandboxie sandbox (paid version) can be set to block any executable (also dropped by malware) in the c:\Users folder, except some whitelisted applications which are allowed to run sandboxed (kind of SRP).

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
The only sandbox i would use it would be Rehips do to it's mechanisms.
Until though it gets policed i use Shadow defender when i think there is a reason to do it.
But generally i don't use a sandbox.
I want my system to be as light as possible.

Last edited:

128BPM

Level 2
Verified
Feb 21, 2018
I don't know if a sandbox is important, but I know that it is useful. The sandbox could be useful for example to install software without touching the windows registry. If that program is no longer necessary, only deletes the sandbox. This will prevent uninstall and leftovers.

It can also be useful for privacy. If you always browse inside the sandbox, all the browsing history will be deleted when closing the sandbox.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It can also be useful for privacy. If you always browse inside the sandbox, all the browsing history will be deleted when closing the sandbox.
That really depends on the sandboxing software you are using, and how you use it.
With Sandboxie, you can manually delete when you finish browsing, or even set it up to do that automatically, if you wish. But with ReHIPS, it will maintain browsing history from session to session. There is no special mechanism to delete it, at least, not in the current version of ReHIPS. I think they are working on it, though.

128BPM

Level 2
Verified
Feb 21, 2018
That really depends on the sandboxing software you are using, and how you use it.
With Sandboxie, you can manually delete when you finish browsing, or even set it up to do that automatically, if you wish. But with ReHIPS, it will maintain browsing history from session to session. There is no special mechanism to delete it, at least, not in the current version of ReHIPS. I think they are working on it, though.

Sorry, you are right. I was referring to Sandboxie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.