Advice Request Why so many people say to avoid Avast? What's the issue?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
The last 3-4 versions of Avast are causing many problems such as:
UI Failed to load and other install or uninstall problems.
Just visit their forum and read countless problems almost everyday.....
I have at 2 laptops Avast. My daughters free and my own PRO. UI loaded especialy the last version very fast. And for install or uninstall because i try many products the last two months i have not any problem

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
The level of protection in Internet Security and Premier are identical to Avast Free Antivirus. Not all features in Premier are included in your license and require a separate subscription.

Worth it? Not at all.

Remember AVG and Piriform fall under Avast now, and people no longer seem to be interested in those software anymore.
Is not the same protection with free. avast IS have extra sandbox , real site, firewall, ransomware protection

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Not so many ppl avoid Avast.
70% share is hold by Avast (free) in the free market their users are in million around the globe.
I accuse it for data mining purposes, however it is true for any security software like Symantec, kaspersky, Avira, Trend micro...
E scan , Ahnlab deviod of these. they don't even store your license details in their server
From the security view, they are good> Faster response to newer threats, Excellent antiphishing and Url filtering. Behavior based protection needs some improvement. Can't expect anything beyond that from a Free AV vendor

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
The last 3-4 versions of Avast are causing many problems such as:
UI Failed to load and other install or uninstall problems.
Just visit their forum and read countless problems almost everyday.....
The main problem with their new users they don't have time and to do the right thing like try Repair and Reboot the devices.
They are not Google (as expected from a new user.)Most of the problems are fixed by avast repair and rebooting the pc.(My experience)
Here is the avast repair link:Repairing Avast Antivirus | Official Avast Support

Troubleshooting the "UI Failed to load" error message in Avast Antivirus:Troubleshooting the "UI Failed to load" error message in Avast Antivirus | Official Avast Support

Last edited:

Bikeman0I17

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2017
Having used Avast for the last 10 or more years, hard for me to switch to some other program somewhat, trying out Windows Defender on my I7 Desktop, but not sure how well it would run on mom's older System--AMD A6-3620...

Reason trying the switch, is other forums kept telling me when I asked on other PC issues, that best to dump Avast Free, so trying Defender, but omg slow to scan, eventually getting a Seagate 8tb External think for birthday, omg Defender scanning the backups of that drive, I don't even wanna think about it, it's like 8-12 hours now with my current drives--am I doing full scans unnecessarily every end of month lol? did one 12/31, that lasted well into New years morning lol

I might just stick with Avast, not sure yet

Last edited:

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
I have at 2 laptops Avast. My daughters free and my own PRO. UI loaded especialy the last version very fast. And for install or uninstall because i try many products the last two months i have not any problem

In your case all is ok. But for many many other users(including me) Avast has serious issues with the Failed UI as well as uninstall problems. Believe me I've tried to install Avast free at least 3 times ( the last 3 versions, not the current) and i can assure you that all that problems that i read in Avast forum by many users are 100% true. But this is my personal experience.
Just read what many users write in their forum,and how many problems and bugs Avast has to deal with almost every day, even on stable releases.
I'm sorry to say this, i was a fan of Avast, but until they really fix all that problems making Avast stable and problem free as for ex. Kaspersky, I'll not use it.

Last edited:

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
The main problem with their new users they don't have time and to do the right thing like try Repair and Reboot the devices.
They are not Google (as expected from a new user.)Most of the problems are fixed by avast repair and rebooting the pc.(My experience)
Here is the avast repair link:Repairing Avast Antivirus | Official Avast Support

Troubleshooting the "UI Failed to load" error message in Avast Antivirus:Troubleshooting the "UI Failed to load" error message in Avast Antivirus | Official Avast Support

Those are temporary solutions, the problem is getting back in most of the cases.
Especially the ''repair'' and ''reboot many times until it works'' is very annoying and not professional solution from a serious vendor like Avast.
The activation of ''remote services'' doesn't do anything as well for many users (included me).
Believe me i like Avast but under that conditions and not so professional handling of these problems by their team, avast is a big NO for me at the moment.

Reactions: JB007

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
What is the default behavior of Hardened mode in Avast 2019?
medium mode
but you can change it to aggressive in old setting UI. I confirm it works

however I have a negative feeling about performance impact of this avast 2019
not sure if it's heavier than itself last year or my fully tweaked for performance of kasperaky cloud free is too light

I hate the new setting UI deeply

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
medium mode
but you can change it to aggressive in old setting UI. I confirm it works

however I have a negative feeling about performance impact of this avast 2019
not sure if it's heavier than itself last year or my fully tweaked for performance of kasperaky cloud free is too light

I hate the new setting UI deeply
Is not heavier.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Is not heavier.
I don't know but after a long period of using kaspersky cloud free, I switched to avast (tweaked for max performance) for a while and immediately felt too much slowdown, most noticeably boot time
kaspersky is heavier only when loading a very heavy website, which makes my laptop fan noisy

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I don't know but after a long period of using kaspersky cloud free, I switched to avast (tweaked for max performance) for a while and immediately felt too much slowdown, most noticeably boot time
kaspersky is heavier only when loading a very heavy website, which makes my laptop fan noisy
If you see all my posts is for light antivirus. After many time with 360TS i switched to avast . Realy i have not any delay on boot time or to aplications and browsers. At 2 laptops works realy very light. My own Toshiba Satellite C70 17.3" Intel Core i3-3120M 2.5GHz / 8GB / 750GB . And my daughters HP Pavilion 15-n245se Laptop (Intel Core i7-4500U 4th-Gen, 15.6 Inch 6GB ram)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.