Why you need a Mobile Security solution

14troy14

Level 1
Thread author
May 12, 2011
I think that it is important to have a trusted and known Mobile Security application. o_O

csm_1_0613_mob_summary_db_samples_04_4ad79fc747.jpg

Source: Av-test.org
This graph shows the evolution of malware samples for Android from January 2011 to June 2013.
Don't forget that 99% of smartphone viruses are designed to infect Android ONLY. :eek:

There are good Mobile Security applications that are offered in Google Play (some offers Anti-Theft features as well):

- TrustGo Antivirus & Mobile Security
--> The one I'm currently using and it has detected some applications (those applications were on Google Play, they were not coming from random publishers) that was able to spam notifications or to install another application silently. It blocked these attempts and asked me to uninstall them. Really good FREE product with Anti-Theft features.
- Avast Mobile Security & Antivirus
- CM Security (or Clean Master, which is the same Anti-Virus but it offers a smartphone optimization feature) (no Anti-Theft features for this one)
- Kaspersky Internet Security
- NQ Mobile Security&Antivirus (Apparently fraud, judge yourself... Link provided by Koroke San)
- Lookout Security and Antivirus
- AVG AntiVirus Security

I suggest you choose a Mobile Security application from the ones listed above or from a known publisher ON GOOGLE PLAY. If you choose another one, even if it is on Google Play, be sure to inform yourself about it BEFORE using it, as a lot of malicious application are fake Mobile Security applications.

Have a good day ! ;)

PS: If you don't feel safe surfing on the Internet on your smartphone on a PUBLIC connection, even with an Anti-Virus installed on your phone, it is possible to use a VPN to completly anonymize and encrypt your internet bandwidth. This is particularly usefull if you don't feel safe surfing in a hotel Wi-Fi.
Here some applications you can use :

- TunnelBear VPN (500mb free per month) (The one I'm using. Very fast speed where I live [CAN].)
- Hideman VPN (5 hours free per week)
- SecureLine VPN from Avast (free for 7 days)

To use without limitation a VPN service, you usually need a paid subscription, so if you find one that is free forever, be sure to check if it is really trustable because VPNs are usually expensive services. If the application provider has bad intentions, they can collect everything that you did while you were connected to their server, so be careful.

14troy14

Last edited:

Icy

Level 2
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
PS: If you don't feel safe surfing on the Internet on your smartphone on a PUBLIC connection, even with an Anti-Virus installed on your phone, it is possible to use a VPN to completly anonymize and encrypt your internet bandwidth. This is particularly usefull if you don't feel safe surfing in a hotel Wi-Fi.
Here some applications you can use :

- TunnelBear VPN (500mb free per month) (The one I'm using. Very fast speed where I live [CAN].)
- Hideman VPN (5 hours free per week)
- SecureLine VPN from Avast (free for 7 days)

To use without limitation a VPN service, you usually need a paid subscription, so if you find one that is free forever, be sure to check if it is really trustable because VPNs are expensive services.

14troy14

Just felt like adding this one:
Download Openvpn
Download the VPNbook ovpn files here

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
@14troy14, thank you for these suggestions & VPN options. I enjoyed reading what you shared using TrustGo.:) Now, I just need to take the next step, & trade out my plain vanilla flavored cellular phone for a Smart one that has Android to protect!;):D However, I can presently look more closelyo_O into using a VPN.
@Icy, thank you for adding "Download Openvpn + VPNbook ovpn files here" Do you think extensions like Zenmate & DoNotTrackMe function similarly?

Reactions: King Alpha

Icy

Level 2
Verified
Apr 10, 2014
@14troy14, thank you for these suggestions & VPN options. I enjoyed reading what you shared using TrustGo.:) Now, I just need to take the next step, & trade out my plain vanilla flavored cellular phone for a Smart one that has Android to protect!;):D However, I can presently look more closelyo_O into using a VPN.
@Icy, thank you for adding "Download Openvpn + VPNbook ovpn files here" Do you think extensions like Zenmate & DoNotTrackMe function similarly?

Zenmate isn't released just yet. Donottrackme isn't compatible with android as well but a similar extension (ghostery) is available on firefox for android. If you mean't on your PC then no, zenmate is different than VPNbook since zenmate only routes browser-based traffic while VPNbook will route all traffic to its servers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.