CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Key takeaway:
Diskless servers are servers that don't use a hard disk; they run entirely from RAM. This means they can't store logs and other information in the same way regular servers can.
If you’re shopping for a VPN, there are plenty of criteria to keep in mind, like price, performance, and even the interface. One thing you’ll hear about less is the type of servers a provider uses—in particular, a new type called a diskless server, which offers great benefits to both speed and privacy.

Full article

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
Since many VPNs do not operate their own servers in every country they offer and therefore have to rent servers from other providers, it is difficult to trust that the VPN providers' claims are always correct. The whole industry, based in miniature states with questionable legal systems better known for supporting money laundering and tax evasion, is untrustworthy in my eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
@Oldie1950 That about ram servers. i clicked the link you posted i can't see any ''RAM servers'' on the article

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
Right. Here's another source:

"Unfortunately, even the best VPNs claim to have no logging policies and use them to promote their service.
The problem is that there is no way for consumers to verify these claims and we ultimately have to take providers at their word. VyprVPN puts it best by saying that “anyone who runs a large enough IT infrastructure knows that running that infrastructure with zero logs is impossible.
Even if a VPN provider does commit itself to no-logging, its likely that the owners of the servers VPN providers lease do."

I'm not an IT expert, so I have to rely on expert judgment. After that, there are 1. doubts as to whether a server can be operated without logging. 2. It is also doubtful whether a review of the type of data storage can be reliably guaranteed at all for rented servers.

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Another bullshit marketing gimmick.

How does a vpn keep tabs on how many users are logged in and what server your connected to?

Somewhere, somehow, they have to log at the bare minimum users connected, number of logins per user account and users connected to each server.

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Right. Here's another source:

"Unfortunately, even the best VPNs claim to have no logging policies and use them to promote their service.
The problem is that there is no way for consumers to verify these claims and we ultimately have to take providers at their word. VyprVPN puts it best by saying that “anyone who runs a large enough IT infrastructure knows that running that infrastructure with zero logs is impossible.
Even if a VPN provider does commit itself to no-logging, its likely that the owners of the servers VPN providers lease do."

I'm not an IT expert, so I have to rely on expert judgment. After that, there are 1. doubts as to whether a server can be operated without logging. 2. It is also doubtful whether a review of the type of data storage can be reliably guaranteed at all for rented servers.
Ok actually i'm a big fan of All Things Secured because i watch his YT videos its interesting! i say again and again he didn't mention ''RAM servers'' :/ i try to tweet him about it

Reactions: Oldie1950

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.