Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Correct Umbra.
There are lists that go into far deeper reaches, but for the average user that list will keep many out of trouble. :)
Its a good list for gamers as well.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
What I have disabled on W7HP x64...

disabled1.jpg
disabled2.jpg
disabled3.jpg
disabled4.jpg

L

LabZero

Thread author
I don't use automated tools but I prefer to manually disable the unnecessary services according to BlackViper, or other sites.
It is important to note the disabled services to have a reference in case of any problems.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I don't use automated tools but I prefer to manually disable the unnecessary services according to BlackViper, or other sites.
It is important to note the disabled services to have a reference in case of any problems.

Playing with services can wreak havoc using automated tools - like Qihoo Total Security > System Optimization. It is important to keep a log of what has been changed -- in case serious problems occur so one can revert services to default settings.

You have to really know what is in services.msc before you start playing with them. Some of the tools can mess you up ! Don't disable services before using any tools -- because when you do use any tools they will detect disabled services as the default rule !

H

hjlbx

Thread author
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Before i did like @marzametal when i used Win7, it has way too many services enabled , on Win10 they are less and most are set on manual start; so you wont need more than 5mn of tweaks.

If I were going to be doing extended business on a laptop in some far-off land - like Nigeria - then I would harden OS to the extent that @marzametal has done.

i wouldn't , i will just load a privacy-based Linux live CD. faster and less efforts.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
What services do you have enabled (Automatic and Manual)?
Thanks for asking... I think I could disable some more. I have read that some have disabled the DNS Client service, and there is also the ActiveX Installer Service, it never ends!

Automatic / Automatic (Delayed)
automatic01.jpg

automatic02.jpg

Manual
manual01.jpg

Reactions: Ink

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Thanks to @Vasudev and @neon for mentioning ESO. I have never heard of it... looks like a good app, not sure of the implications yet in relation to having a 3rd party app with rights to stop/start Windows Services. All in all, still worth looking into!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is not better use ESO ?
If you do it manually, you'll learn a few things. See quotes below:

.You have to really know what is in services.msc before you start playing with them. Some of the tools can mess you up ! Don't disable services before using any tools -- because when you do use any tools they will detect disabled services as the default rule !

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have never heard of it... looks like a good app, not sure of the implications yet in relation to having a 3rd party app with rights to stop/start Windows Services. All in all, still worth looking into!
You can always create a batch file to start/stop services that are set to Manual. Example: Print Spooler - Start when needed to print. Stop when no longer needed.

Search online on how to create batch (.bat) files. All you need is Notepad and a keyboard.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.