Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Quote from the conclusion:
The main thing, the truly one real main thing - we need competition. If Firefox disappears, the world goes back to the Internet Explorer 6 era. It was a dark time. And it has nothing to do with Chrome as a product. It has everything to do with the ecosystem, the mindset, the way people behave. We already have lazy developers coding Chrome-only sites. If and when Firefox vanishes, the Internet will become a zombieland. Innovation and freedom are already quite low across the board, and when there's no survival incentive, we will find ourselves deep in intellectual stagnation that can take decades to fix. If ever. We need Intel and AMD, we need Windows and Linux, and we need Chrome and Firefox.
Read the rest of this story by Dedoimedo here:

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Quote from the conclusion:

Read the rest of this story by Dedoimedo here:

I'd argue we already are close to a new IE6 era. Firefox has the role Netscape had back in the day but Chrome has become the de-facto browser choice. Thumbs up to those of us who were using Opera :love:

With one major difference though, back then, 20 years ago, sites hosted on IIS didn't work properly with browsers other than IE6, as MS was using (non-open) extensions to the protocols of the time. Google doesn't do anything like that.

Also Chrome today is a pretty cool browser, back then IE6 was not the best browser one could use, it's popularity was based on default installation, not superior features.

It will change with time though, if you asked most folks 17 years ago if anything could break the IE6-IIS bind, they'd laugh. Well today it's been done.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I agree that firefox is better in privacy, but not in security, for me it lacks a native instant translator like Chrome, I know they are in it but it won't be seen soon.

Google He is the father of chrome a monster of technology.
It cannot be compared with Firefox.

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Good points from my buddies bribon77 & show-Zi above.

1577144945825.png

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Let's see and this I think is important.
As a native of the Spanish language I am not uninformed, but it is not comparable with the information that the English Language has, therefore for me if a browser with a good and instant translator is important.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I started using FF on a daily basis (as main browser, obviously, so i can properly evaluate it) since 1-2 weeks after a long avoidance, so i will add my observations/feelings in regard of the quoted below.

When it comes to private browsing, I feel that Firefox works better.
Indeed, even privacy extensions seems better made or more effective (example CanvasDefender working great while CanvasBlocker doesn't).

1- I agree that firefox is better in privacy, but not in security,
2- for me it lacks a native instant translator like Chrome, I know they are in it but it won't be seen soon.
3- Google He is the father of chrome a monster of technology. It cannot be compared with Firefox
1- same here.
2-- indeed when it comes to translator, FF sucks plenty compared to Chrome, even the built-in spell checker is subpar.
3- indeed but FF is closer now.
i will add the default customization and options available in FF are superior than Chrome.

for me if a browser with a good and instant translator is important.
Most important indeed.

I want to love Firefox but I can't, it's slower than chrome, uses more cpu and memory than chrome. Privacy doesn't matter since I'm using Windows 10.
yes FF is definitely slower (i have the same exact extensions in both Chrome and FF) and Chrome is really faster, especially when i visit Pinterest which put an heavy toll on browser because of the immense number of pictures loaded when scrolling down (even with smoth scrolling disabled, i know some people will point that ^^).

I keep trialing it, but at least i am more satisfied with FF than in the past. I will probably use FF for sensitive sites (where i need better privacy) and Chrome for the common/less trustful ones that need more security.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
The absence of an integrated translator in FF is not a mayor issue here (and I'm Spanish)... there are lots of translator extensions available for FF out there, and some of them are even richer in features than the integrated in Chrome, personally I use Simple Translate extension which is fast and gives You different ways of translating text (directly selecting text, copy/pasting, full site etc.)... also available for Chrome

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Let's see and this I think is important.
As a native of the Spanish language I am not uninformed, but it is not comparable with the information that the English Language has, therefore for me if a browser with a good and instant translator is important.

Ironically, I can't understand this article without translationo_O. If the translation is poor, it may stop at the web entrance😭

Currently, Firefox seems to be considering implementing a translation function.

about:config
browser.translation.ui.show-True
browser.translation.detectLanguage-True

A translation button is added at the top (it will be an error at this time).
It seems to use Google's translation engine, but it does not communicate with Google and seems to be protecting privacy in a format that can be used locally.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

@Umbra "example CanvasDefender working great while CanvasBlocker doesn't."
Whats the problem with Canvas Blocker? When I choose "fake" as Block Mode in CanvasBlocker vs Canvas Defender?
on CD before you could refresh the noise and actually see it (when you click on the extension) , not anymore (at least on my end) and people said it is abandoned.
on CB, it works and CB has more options.

so the choice isn't that hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
CD for Chrome was last updated on July 2017

CB for FF was last updated on Sep 2019

CD, CB and other similar extensions have been discussed here a long time back and the CB is the best for it not only

1) changes the canvas fingerprint
2) prevents its own fingerprint from being exposed something which other extensions (Chrome/FF) cannot do it

There are some tests to validate it. Just search for the discussions. Check out discussions at github as well

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.