Why you shouldn’t unlock your phone with your face

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Sometimes I wonder whether these biometric means are purposely created backdoor for the police and intelligence agencies to unlock your phone

If you just have passwords then the police and the intelligence agencies cannot forced you to reveal them unless you want to or if you fall under torture.

With biometric methods like fingerpint, iris scanning and facial recognition etc it's so much easier for the said police/agencies to just bring your finger/face/eye to the phone and unlock it, no?

Last edited:

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
Imagine you've been detained at customs, waiting to cross the border. Or maybe you've been pulled over for a traffic violation. An officer waves your cellphone at you.

“Look at this. Is this yours?” he asks.

Before you can respond, a tiny infrared sensor in the phone has scanned your face. Matching those readings against the copy of your face that is stored in its archive, the phone concludes that its owner is trying to unlock it. The device lowers its defenses, surrendering its contents in moments to the law enforcement officer holding your phone.

Without you saying a word, he has gotten everything he wanted.

source : Analysis | What happens if a cop forces you to unlock your iPhone X with your face?

Reactions: brambedkar59

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
Situation - In a room light goes off... people switch on their mobile torch on their normal handsets...

Guy with an Iphone
2716.png
- "Please someone throw light on my face so that I can unlock my phone"

1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

Reactions: mlnevese and ispx

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Situation - In a room light goes off... people switch on their mobile torch on their normal handsets...

Guy with an Iphone
2716.png
- "Please someone throw light on my face so that I can unlock my phone"

1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
AFAIK it has a IR illuminator (IR source), which lights up your face for its IR sensor to work.

Reactions: Sana and ispx

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.