App Review Why you shouldn't use Windows Firewall

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
This man treat Windows Firewall as an antivirus? What.............

Don't watch this video. It a waste of time. This man treat Windows Firewall as an antivirus suppose to block malicious app you download from the net, and the malicious site that the malicious app communicate to.

Last edited:
L

Local Host

"Best solution is to have a hardware firewall", while not entirely false this entire video looks like an AD.

You can easily stop malware (or any other program for that matter) from creating Firewall Rules without your consent, by changing the permittions on
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules\

Then we have WFC which also has options to restrict access to the Firewall.

I won't deny Microsoft fails to supply the tools and options for advanced users, it wouldn't take much effort from their part to give us an option to restrict creation of Firewall Rules.

This video just shows you can easily create Firewall Rules without Admin intervention, and honestly I knew about it for years, I've used it in multiple companies scripts (and yes, it works on Windows 10, this is supported by Microsoft).

Either way the moment the Malware is on the PC you already lost, you supposed to stop the Malware from getting on your PC in the first place, and as shown by VT, that sample is easily detected.

Last edited:

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Near the end of the video Leo says he is not bashing windows Firewall,but He is always bashing Windows Defender, ect..It seems (if someone believes him) the next step is to ask him what he does recommend( and there is the motive for this video sales) at least this is my guess

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
FYI, I posted the following comment on YT.

Leo, you should checkout the standalone version of www.whitelistcloud.com. This is the exact type of attack that it was designed to protect against. Basically, it creates a firewall rule for any unknown files, and is free. It is a work in progress and we have not yet implemented the kmd for the standalone version, but it should do quite well against this attack. Although I have not yet tested to see what happens when an allow and block rule are created for the same item. If this is an issue, maybe we need to check recently created allow rules for unknown items and remove them. As I said, it is a work in progress, but the concept is there.

BTW, I understand his point, but once new arbitrary unsafe code is allowed to execute (especially escalated), the system is compromised anyway.

Near the end of the video Leo says he is not bashing windows Firewall,but He is always bashing Windows Defender, ect..It seems (if someone believes him) the next step is to ask him what he does recommend( and there is the motive for this video sales) at least this is my guess
Exactly... I was incredibly curious throughout the video what his mitigation recommendation was going to be... maybe he will have one at some point. WD is bashed because it has developed into an amazing product the last couple of years, so it is going to be bashed more and more, especially as it gains market share.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Re-posting reply for clarification.
  1. Video description is misleading as tests are performed on Windows 7 32-bit, but aims the video demonstration at Windows 10 users.
    • Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft.
    • All Windows users should migrate to Windows 10. Check lifecycle support.
  2. Layered protection is very important for all PC Security channels set-ups. This is not demonstrated in the video.
    • Windows 7 does not have adequate layers of protection. The old Windows Defender is Anti-Spyware only.
    • Windows 10 comes with Virus, Malware and Ransomware protection under Windows Security.
It's also important to note the misconceptions about Software Firewalls, they are not designed to catch or block malware.
Link: Misconception 2 'Firewalls protect your computer by detecting malware' | Emsisoft Blog

Not to bash, but IMO this video is a poor demonstration.

Video Description said:
Turn Off Windows Firewall and use something else. This video demonstrates with a trojan backdoor malware test, why you shouldn't use Windows Defender Firewall, even though it comes with Microsoft Windows 10 and isn't necessarily bad.
Aka "trojan backdoor malware test" vs software firewall that does not catch malware.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
was this guy an Emsisoft emplyee? if yes is he still?

Yes, I recall something like that. "Funny," Emisisoft uses the Windows Firewall instead since a few years now amid some major flak from some of their users. Using a cherry-picked scenario isn't my idea of a fair test. But, it is what it is. I'll continue to use Andy Ful's FirewallHardening utility in conjunction with Windows Firewall and not get sucked into some kind of vortex of paranoia.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
that is one of the cons of a virutal company. they have so many pros but there are some cons as well.
i always had the feeling about Emsisoft that how they choose their employees like they chose this guy who probably all they know about was that he is a youtuber and test products ( this might be wrong and the guy actually sent some proofs that he is worthy to Emsisoft ). and then they got Umbra in, which was( not sure why he is not anymore but i wasn't a fan of him anyway ) a mod here at MT.

and we know most of the Emsisoft employees was the same like tech and geek guys around the internet in other software forums and stuff like that ( i've read that somewhere ) so the problem with this this being a virutal company is that it is not really that common and it just people have not the right feeling about it at least i don't. like is the whole operation even trusted and reliable? we know Fabian Wosar is hiding very well and he is a guy we've been told that really needs to be hidden and not known so we actually accepted that we are not going to know that much about one of the cores in Emsisoft and his back ground. meanwhile see how they chose their employees. this just does not feel "secure" to me. it feels that it's just so easy to get into the Emsisoft and it is normal since it's a virutal company but it just does not feel right maybe cause it is still not that common this being a virutal cybersecurity company.

like i always had the question by myself that Emsisoft BB for example, it reacts to the malwares based on the rules that Emsisoft employees giving to it. so who actually is that employee who give these rules? and how many of Emsisoft employees actually have access to those rules is it being monitored? ofc the all problems comes with the not virutal companies too but it sounds a bit scarier in a virutal company.

the good part is that Emsisoft does not get that much information about it's users, but yet who says that to not to? and who can change that? virutal companies have some kind of NDA like physical companies?

hmm i probably should've write a review about Emsisoft :unsure:

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
that is one of the cons of a virutal company. they have so many pros but there are some cons as well.
i always had the feeling about Emsisoft that how they choose their employees like they chose this guy who probably all they know about was that he is a youtuber and test products ( this might be wrong and the guy actually sent some proofs that he is worthy to Emsisoft ). and then they got Umbra in, which was( not sure why he is not anymore but i wasn't a fan of him anyway ) a mod here at MT.

and we know most of the Emsisoft employees was the same like tech and geek guys around the internet in other software forums and stuff like that ( i've read that somewhere ) so the problem with this this being a virutal company is that it is not really that common and it just people have not the right feeling about it at least i don't. like is the whole operation even trusted and reliable? we know Fabian Wosar is hiding very well and he is a guy we've been told that really needs to be hidden and not known so we actually accepted that we are not going to know that much about one of the cores in Emsisoft and his back ground. meanwhile see how they chose their employees. this just does not feel "secure" to me. it feels that it's just so easy to get into the Emsisoft and it is normal since it's a virutal company but it just does not feel right maybe cause it is still not that common this being a virutal cybersecurity company.

like i always had the question by myself that Emsisoft BB for example, it reacts to the malwares based on the rules that Emsisoft employees giving to it. so who actually is that employee who give these rules? and how many of Emsisoft employees actually have access to those rules is it being monitored? ofc the all problems comes with the not virutal companies too but it sounds a bit scarier in a virutal company.

the good part is that Emsisoft does not get that much information about it's users, but yet who says that to not to? and who can change that? virutal companies have some kind of NDA like physical companies?

This is a firewall topic not Emsisoft. I think you should open a different thread before you attempt to sell ready dig post holes or poke-uh-dot tables, it will get you nowhere on assumptions. Just saying.
I was a user of Emsisoft also but dropped it, just saying.

Reactions: Dave Russo

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Many of us knowingly or unknowingly are sitting behind a good home router these days, which i believe has some kind of firewall security. ( correct me if am wrong). So my question is that " will this qualify as a basic hardware firewall?"
His problem is with outbound connections, which a hardware firewall isn’t blocking either unless you have set it to, or they have some kind of security filter for IPs. Windows 10 firewall works great for this as well. You only have to worry about outbound connections if you are either already infected and worried about data exfiltration, or a malware contacting a C&C server, or you are trying to block certain program from making outbound connections. There are common ports to watch or block for worms, but it’s your last line of defense. And most routers aren’t protecting you in this way, but they are most likely putting all your inbound ports into stealth mode and avoid port scanners.

Last edited:

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
I think you should open a different thread
that doesn't make any difference too anyway.
it is what it is
but i'll probably do that one day

the topic tho has nothing to discuss about actually. the guy is white today black tomorrow. one day telling good about products that suggest to use windows firewall and the other day blame windows firewall.
starting the video we hear "don't use windows firewall" end of the video we'll hear "i don't want to bash Windows Firewall"

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
The malware created an inbound rule. Enabling this option would nullify the rule created by the malware. I always disable inbound connection no matter which Firewall I use since I don't need it nor 99% average users.
f.PNG

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
The malware created an inbound rule. Enabling this option would nullify the rule created by the malware. I always disable inbound connection no matter which Firewall I use since I don't need it nor 99% average users.
View attachment 240940
You’re right I missed that in my post. Outbound connections and inbound rules matter. However wouldn’t your router also need to forward the port, or am I mistaken?
Also I didn’t watch the whole thing...my bad.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Dont worry too much, Leo and Umbra are/were just community managers/tech envagelists, they are/were not core members in the Emsisoft team (fortunately).

I know that Umbra time on Emsisoft was very short and maybe Leo isnt affiliated with Emsisoft anymore (needs confirmation).

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
You’re right I missed that in my post. Outbound connections and inbound rules matter. However wouldn’t your router also need to forward the port, or am I mistaken?
Also I didn’t watch the whole thing...my bad.
I think you're right. If port forwarding and UPnP is disabled on the router then the router wouldn't forward the port and any inbound connection attempt will fail.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.