Troubleshoot Wifi stops working on old laptop.

sew333

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 11, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
no internet
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
nn
Hello again my friends ( like you very much ). I have router TP LINK plugged to wall. Internet cable from router going to pc. Internet working. I also have wireless internet ( WIFI ) in laptop. All was working fine till yesterday. Laptop stops recognizing wifi and i dont have internet. It happened yesterday when internet stops working. I reinstalled Windows 10 2 times but nothing helped. Is this possible that wifi on laptop broken? It suddenly stops seeing WIFI in laptop. I tried unplugging router and plugging again but nothing helped. Also my mother SMARTPHONE detecting wifi and router. Only laptop stops. I am currently ordering new laptop to house.

I ordered new laptop with hope that i will be internet have. Must have to do work.

Is this possible that wireless on laptop gone bad?

Last edited:

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Yes
Oki thanks. So it possible on laptops that wifi will get broken from your experience?
Yes... in fact I had an ASUS (by coincidence) that did exactly the same. The internal wifi wouldn't work so I just plugged in a dongle into the USB to use wifi and the laptop lasted for a few more years with no other issue. A cheap dongle was far better solution (costwise) than spending 100s on a new laptop!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sew333

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 11, 2016
Yes

Yes... in fact I had an ASUS (by coincidence) that did exactly the same. The internal wifi wouldn't work so I just plugged in a dongle into the USB to use wifi and the laptop lasted for a few more years with no other issue. A cheap dongle was far better solution (costwise) than spending 100s of a new laptop!
yeah i know but it will be new and faster laptop by the way. :)

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Your old laptop quite possibly has a switch to turn WiFi on or off which you could have bumped. If there's no such switch, or it remains switched on, often it is very quick and easy to replace the WiFi card. I do realise you've just ordered a new computer, but most likely it would be easy to get the WiFi working again in your current one.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.