Wikipedia Blocked in Turkey by Government

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The Turkey Blocks monitoring network has verified restrictions affecting the Wikipedia online encyclopaedia in Turkey. A block affecting all language editions of the website detected at 8:00AM local time Saturday 29 April. The loss of availability is consistent with internet filters used to censor content in the country.

Certain subdomains remained partially available on ISP TTNet at the time of writing, while the restriction appears to by fully implemented on Uydunet, Turkcell and other fixed line and mobile service providers.

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Do we know how they block ?
Today in France, administrative blocking is done on the dns of the ISP.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Seriously? Can't believe that! I clearly see where Mister Erdogan is heading, but he is heading his own people the wrong way for his own amusement. Hopefully they'll stop him before he ruins their country. I almost die every time I hear about that old person called Fethullah Gulen or so, because I can't stop laughing. How can an 80 year old person be a terrorist from which all Turkey fears? Oh, he's controlling 100 000 teachers, police officers, firefighters, science workers, TVs, journalists, basically everyone who has some intelligence in their head and can understand what is happening in Turkey. It's like when the communists came in my country and killed tens of thousands of the most intelligent people in the country, incl. many poets and writers. That Fethullah is only the stupid reason for Mr. Erdogan to his way through the opposition. History repeats here. History also repeats in the fact that both Mr. Erdogan and Hitler used a fake coup to remove the opposition. I don't know whether he is the fascist or the EU leaders who denied calls for his authoritarian regime. Maybe they should have allowed it, after all it's a referendum. This Wikipedia block is just the first step towards the ruin of this country. People on this planet learn from their mistakes, Turks seem to either not be on this planet or they have something very wrong happening in their heads stopping them from seeing where their country is headed. Just a personal opinion from me. I don't care at all about Turkey, but I am sorry for the Turks that one person is going to ruin their beautiful country with egoistic and selfish ideas.

Reactions: Sven and shmu26
F

ForgottenSeer 19494

While I am sure that we all strongly disapprove of Turkey blocking Wikipedia, I think we should refrain from too much political commentary, lest we help start another war in the Middle East...
Truth Is the most beautiful and the most ugly thing which can ever exist in this planet. Whether it is beautiful or not it depends on ourselves. If it is not then we (or very rarely someone else) got something wrong.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Truth Is the most beautiful and the most ugly thing which can ever exist in this planet. Whether it is beautiful or not it depends on ourselves. If it is not then we (or very rarely someone else) got something wrong.
In recent years, Turkey has been censored, temporarily but also for a long period, several sites such as WikiLeaks, YouTube, Facebook and Twitter, typically quoting national security as justification....
This latest development will raise probably new concerns on the part of groups of human rights, for freedom of speech in the country.
This is the dark side of the truth.

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
High on the list of fears of all repressive states is an educated and informed population .

Turkish journalists can be jailed for merely mentioning the Armenian genocide !

So this latest news is not really surprising ..... just infinitely depressing .

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

I am just guessing, but there might be material there that is considered disrespectful to the founder of Islam. That is the usual explanation for censorship in Islamic countries.
It's an open platform maintained by a community which everyone can join. I don't get it how such things can happen there and how they will not be fixed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.