Advice Request will firefox have an (edge) now

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
since microsoft edge now has turned to chromium you have only left now firefox using gecko perhaps if firefox now steps up on developing there browser they can
be on top of the list i know there is a lot of other browser out there but im talking about the three browsers that are mostly used or talked about on windows pc you have

edge (chromium)
google (chrome)
firefox (gecko)

so what is every ones thought about this will firefox now be a contender or not?
and since edge is chromium based will that replace chrome on your desktop?

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I'm sure lots negative things will be written about Firefox because a lot of people will not like it.
Its not the users who won't like it but its the website owners and companies. Lots of privacy features means websites won't be able to collect data from the users, this will certainly irk some people resulting in discouraging the use of Firefox by them.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
I have a longstanding love / hate relationship with Firefox because I have been trying to de-google myself as much as possible.
Love the idea and the principals of the Mozilla Foundation, hate the implementation.
I kept forcing myself to ignore the quirks and I have been optimistic since the Quantum version.
But since the Chromium Edge came out I think I might finally settle there.
Future does not seem bright with the Gecko engine I'm afraid.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Depends what you mean by "top of the list" and "contender". If you're asking whether Firefox will start taking market share away from Chrome then no, it won't, because that'd require the general public to adopt Firefox en masse and that ship sailed back in 2012.
If you're asking whether it'll be first choice among security enthusiasts like us then I think, depending on whether Edge is full-featured enough, it'll actually draw users away from Firefox & Chrome.
Privacy zealots already avoid Edge/Chrome due to their Microsoft/Google link so it won't make a difference to them.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Depends what you mean by "top of the list" and "contender". If you're asking whether Firefox will start taking market share away from Chrome then no, it won't, because that'd require the general public to adopt Firefox en masse and that ship sailed back in 2012.
If you're asking whether it'll be first choice among security enthusiasts like us then I think, depending on whether Edge is full-featured enough, it'll actually draw users away from Firefox & Chrome.
Privacy zealots already avoid Edge/Chrome due to their Microsoft/Google link so it won't make a difference to them.
I think that nowadays, Microsoft is a lesser evil than Google. A de-googled chromium browser with the built-in support of Windows and it's security tools (Defender exploit guard, Smartscreen, etc.) is a slam-dunk.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Currently my mainbrowser is opera developer, since they have not removed EV certificates on latest chromium version, while other contenders have done that already ( including firefox)

Firefox will be contender of course, i just rather use palemoon instead of firefox if i want to have something else than just chromium

Firefox gone downhill for a long time, probably this ublock origin case is gaining them some more of users and when their faster cycle of updates is live it probably can keep up with chrome or not

Currently firefox doesnt offer me anything different that chromium can do

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

I don't know for you but the way FF is rendering on my machines was always subpar compared to Chromium-based browsers.
FF was my first browser; i loved tweaking it and make it unique in term of appearance, now this isnt the case anymore.

Security-wise, FF wont be better than Chrome.

FF only advantage was the privacy thingy but lately we saw they tried to collect datas as well.

So basically, FF doesnt afford much benefits to makes me ditch chrome or Chrom-Edge.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
so what is every ones thought about this will firefox now be a contender or not?
and since edge is chromium based will that replace chrome on your desktop?

On Windows Firefox lags in security (it took them years before they were able to run render process with LOW rights and they still have not managed to run it in AppContainer), so a definite NO for me.

On linux Chromium comes without widevine plugin, so for watching digital rights limited content (e.g. Netflix) you need Firefox, but . .
although the widevine plugin-in Firefox works 95% of the time, the frustration about the 5% when it did not work is what I remember, so . . .
as soon as Chromium Edge will become available on Linux I will ditch Firefox (also a clear and definite No for me).

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
I prefer Firefox customize address bar/toolbar vs Chrome one size fits all omnibar.
Firefox 70.0 feels crisp.
I prefer Firefox Dark Theme (address bar black background) .
I prefer Opera Dark Theme (address bar black background) vs Chrome Themes (omnibar white background).
Edge (Chromium) vs Opera. I'll run Opera. Just don't like Chrome omnibar/toolbar.
Opera 64.0 feels crisp.
Edge (Chromium) ....I'm not a fan of Edge. So, ?

Edit: setting up Edge (Chromium).
Edge (Chromium) Dark Theme has address bar black background. (y)
I'm warming to Edge (Chromium).
Will play with Windows Defender Browser Protection vs Microsoft Defender SmartScreen.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Firefox has no room whasoever, with Edge joining the Blink fray, there's little to no reason for developers to waste time developing for Quantum.

Firefox has no advantage in terms of privacy either, false bubble created by Firefox enthusiasts.
You can harden FF to improve its security and privacy. Read below

especially using the below file(s)

And for the security of FF read here

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
And for the security of FF read here

When you take the time to read their (very interesting) policy guidelines and the audit criteria the browsers were evaluated on,, everyone will understand that the header of the article by ZDNET was partly taken out of context for attracting readers.

The simple fact that it is hard/impossible to disable all telemetry makes chrome and (old)edge unsuitable for security agencies or (governmental) organizations involved with security. So the spectacular header is a typical case of "water is wet" or the "moon is round" insights.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Undercover-sponsored articles, when you read:
1- one of the criteria is telemetry, you know Chrome will obviously fail.
2- Germany, not by chance, Germany is a privacy-worried country.
3-Germany is a main market for FF, they lead over there (reason they tested their attempt to collect datas there first), obviously FF has a edge there.

Basically, i see this article as an attempt to promote and re-glorify FF compared to its opponent like chrome or Brave which became extremely popular in Netherlands (a neighbor of Germany)

dont let yourself misguided, everybody with a bit of technical knowledge about browsers, knows than Chromium security is way superior than FF; FF made huge progress, they went from weak to good security but to say they overthrown Chromium is disinformation.
FF still being compromised recently.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.