Question Will using Always on Display in my Amoled screen phone cause any damage to the screen?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Using Always on Display (AOD) on your AMOLED screen phone, including Oneplus devices, should not cause any significant damage to the screen. The AOD feature is designed by manufacturers to be safe for regular use without causing any issues. However, it's worth noting that using AOD may slightly reduce the overall lifespan of the screen due to the continuous display of pixels, albeit in a reduced brightness mode. Nonetheless, the impact is usually minimal and should not be a cause for concern.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Will using Always on Display in my Amoled screen phone cause any damage to the screen? I have a Oneplus phone and I use Canvas AOD also.....
All amoled aka OLED screens are prone to screen burn-in issue. The day you start to use your OLED screen, it starts to deteriorates. Inevitably it will fail like any other screen technology. So the question is how long does it last, most screens (E4/E5 technology) has an MTBF of 4000 to 5000 hours. So use your screen judiciously. Things you can do to prolong the life of OLED screen.
1.Avoid displaying images that may cause image retention at high brightness, be it always on display image or otherwise.
2. Avoid displaying static images with bright colours (including white), clocks or logos on any portion of the screen.
3. Reduce the brightness to 30 to 40% since Increased brightness can affect the likelihood of long-term image retention.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
All amoled aka OLED screens are prone to screen burn-in issue. The day you start to use your OLED screen, it starts to deteriorates. Inevitably it will fail like any other screen technology. So the question is how long does it last, most screens (E4/E5 technology) has an MTBF of 4000 to 5000 hours.
A friend of mind is using a Galaxy Note 2, a phone released in 2012 and it still has not visible screen burn in. I'm sure he never has his screen at a high brightness setting. He's still using the original battery too, although it is due to be replaced.

ZeePriest

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
I've used a samsung s7 edge since it came out and have turned on always on since the first day and I haven't had any issue with it whatsoever. No burn in from always on. Burn in was mostly caused by spending a lot of time on games but it's normal for amoled screens to have burn ins over time. Nothing to worry about!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.