Advice Request Will Windows 8 Fail?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Will Windows 8 Fail? topic here ..

Will Windows 8 Fail? : on pcmag.com : http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402031,00.asp

'Microsoft's new OS drives awkwardly on PCs and laptops without touch input and that could result in its failure.' ..

'Microsoft has only one chance to get Windows 8 right or, as some in-the-know folks I know suggest, it could suffer the same fate as Vista.'

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I don't think so. It's still usable on the desktop, and what makes it even easier is its keyboard shortcuts: http://www.pcworld.com/article/251022/windows_8_consumer_preview_keyboard_shortcuts.html
Microsoft's imagination about the future of computers is strange, but sounds true. Now tablets are becoming more and more, and they are beating the hardware specs of some laptops - An example would be the Asus Transformer Prime tablet - Quad Core 1.3 GHz CPU, 1GB RAM

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think Microsoft managed to have a research on what's trending and they found out that its tablets, so likely inspired on making an OS that brought more effective through tablets.

But of course they want to gain market shares through laptops and desktops.

V

Vextor

I don't think it will. I really like the Metro UI, and it is really fast. Vista wasn't bad to use, it was really buggy.

EDIT: Only issue I find with it is that some things can only be used in the US.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
bbbbweb said:
Vista wasn't bad to use, it was really buggy.

I have to agree Vista is not bad to use but has some bugs that are annoying, but I don't think that Windows 8 will fail. Might be the number 1 OS for tablets.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Windows 8 will fail the way that Vista will fail. It will be too much change in a single version.

It is faster and more secure than Windows 7 with many completely new features and revamps of older features.

But because of the (faster, lighter) very new UI users won't use it. We'll see Windows 9 come out with vague/ marginal improvements and some UI tweaks and it will be heralded as Windows 7 was.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hungry Man said:
Windows 8 will fail the way that Vista will fail. It will be too much change in a single version.

It is faster and more secure than Windows 7 with many completely new features and revamps of older features.

But because of the (faster, lighter) very new UI users won't use it. We'll see Windows 9 come out with vague/ marginal improvements and some UI tweaks and it will be heralded as Windows 7 was.

Yeah but it's not also just going to be used for PC (as far as I know) it's going to be used for Tablets as well. Which is a good thing to have.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I fail to understand how Windows 8 will improve my experience as a desktop/laptop user.....
Microsoft did an amazing job with the Metro UI however in real life if you are a desktop user it's very unpractical and basically useless...
At this point I wouldn't spend 300$ for a operating system that is designed for touch devices and basically has as a desktop mode the same old Windows 7.
From my point of view Windows 8 will be a great competitor for Android and iOS however the REGULAR (non-savy) desktop user will have a hard time adjusting to it and apart from the first few days in which they'll use the Metro UI due to the new great look , most of the time will just use the Windows 7 app... :)

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
I wouldn't spend 300$ on any OS. Never have never will. I've actually never paid for an OS, I've either gotten it through being a student or through a job.

Users will have a hard time adjusting to Metro... but that's kinda what Windows 8 is for. It's a huge change, and it's kinda the OS for "Adjusting" until MS can refine it and get 9 out there.

As a user your experience will be improved with marginal security and performance improvements. Being able to run more applications at once faster than before and knowing that legacy exploits will not necessarily work.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I think it may fail. Microsodt always imagined new concepts which changed modern day computing literally.But with the metro concept the concept of application running in windows is starting to dwindle out. On the desktop front many may reject because of the The learning curve. They have to completely forgo start menu, worry about two different UI and sets of apps. Instead MS can give an option to use Start menu or Start Screen. OR Microsoft should have totally scrapped of Desktop interface and integrated everything into the Metro UI. Having such a dual UI can pose problems. Although many like this concept i do not like it. IT seems more touch UI oriented. It is like running Andriod on Pc. MS is trying to imitate apple. It is worth taking note that Apple has maintained good distance between Mac and iOS. Secondly till now we have virtually no information on Windows Server. IF server again starts using start screen then developers will face a problem as switching between the two UIs is cumbersome. Even on the Windows8 power users will face a problem. Apps also have to be written for desktop and metro. Instead MS can scrap off metro from desktop editions. OR integrate the desktop and start screen. There is no separate desktop and a separate start screen. Its just one unified UI. Another idea can be a theme consistency between desktop and Start Screen. Instead Start Screen can be a pop up filling the screen. The idea it becomes a launch pad for application(sort of a dock). And one of the biggest points which shows MS is concentrating more on the tablet market is the fact that the accessing shut down button is a two step process.

D

Deleted member 178

more i am using it, more i like it, its resources usage is far above Win7, it just misses some advanced options.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
After using it even I feel Metro is not completely crap.
It has its uses and its not so cumbersome as persumed by me in the initial days if usage as after some time I got settled. Searching files is faster.
Got my most accessed folders under indexed and its quick to reach files. But metro is so stupid that it wont search for files and list them until you go to control panel(desktop one) and put those files in index.
Unity wins and rocks. MS a few open source brains weighed more than your geeks.

Z

ZeroDay

Umbra Corp. said:
more i am using it, more i like it, its resources usage is far above Win7, it just misses some advanced options.

I completely agree.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
How will it fail if it's going to be installed as standard on every new desktop and laptop that people will buy.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Tom172 said:
How will it fail if it's going to be installed as standard on every new desktop and laptop that people will buy.

Unfortunately that is what Microsoft is counting on. Who cares if it's not widely liked, people won't have much choice in the matter... :rolleyes:

Imran

Level 1
Feb 27, 2012
Jack said:
I fail to understand how Windows 8 will improve my experience as a desktop/laptop user.....
Microsoft did an amazing job with the Metro UI however in real life if you are a desktop user it's very unpractical and basically useless...
At this point I wouldn't spend 300$ for a operating system that is designed for touch devices and basically has as a desktop mode the same old Windows 7.
From my point of view Windows 8 will be a great competitor for Android and iOS however the REGULAR (non-savy) desktop user will have a hard time adjusting to it and apart from the first few days in which they'll use the Metro UI due to the new great look , most of the time will just use the Windows 7 app... :)

I'm a Linux user so i don't know much about Windows
But in my thoughts Jack is right :)

D

Deleted member 178

In fact , i dont really mind about Win8 Ui, it took some time to be accustomed to it, then it work flawlessly; i use Win8 mostly for its low resources usage. important especially with my config.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I agree it just takes some getting used to.I still mainly use Windows 7 but I will boot into Windows 8 and play around with it.I will run some software and install some things and make a few tweaks.The more experience I have with it the easier and better it gets.Its faster,uses less resources and is more secure,so really whats not to like about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.