Advice Request Win 8.1 vs Win10

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

franz

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I have both win 8.1 and win 10 on my pc which I switch between. I use Open Shell in win 8.1 and think that 8.1 is fast and have no problems with it, but then I keep hearing that now you should switch to Win10.

Like others, I have experienced some problems when I use Win10, but overall it is good, so I have the question, should I switch to Win10, or should I stick to Win 8.1? :unsure:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows 10 is a no-brainer for consumers.

Windows 10 was released in 2015. That was 6 years ago, and in those years there have been numerous security, feature, stability and performance updates to make it the best Windows to date.

Windows 8.1 support ends in January 2023. There will be no security updates for the OS. Using Windows 8.1 is dangerous even if multiple layers of third-party security software, if the core system files are vulnerable to exploits.

It's common for Windows users to stay with out-dated systems, or turning off updates to avoid upgrade prompts.

franz

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021

Windows 10 was released in 2015. That was 6 years ago, and in those years there have been numerous security, feature, stability and performance updates to make it the best Windows to date.

Windows 8.1 support ends in January 2023. There will be no security updates for the OS. Using Windows 8.1 is dangerous even if multiple layers of third-party security software, if the core system files are vulnerable to exploits.

It's common for Windows users to stay with out-dated systems, or turning off updates to avoid upgrade prompts.
I think I change to Win10 now. Thank you very much.(y)

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I liked 8.1 very much--it was fast, efficient and very stable. But when 10 came out, I upgraded even though I had a potato machine at the time with only 4GB memory installed. Reason was security, even back then.

I think people read all the horror stories about Windows 10 updates and that sticks with them more than the positives. Can't blame anybody there but the time has def. come. If you have the hardware, why not run 8.1 in a Virtual Machine if you still want to keep it?

franz

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I liked 8.1 very much--it was fast, efficient and very stable. But when 10 came out, I upgraded even though I had a potato machine at the time with only 4GB memory installed. Reason was security, even back then.

I think people read all the horror stories about Windows 10 updates and that sticks with them more than the positives. Can't blame anybody there but the time has def. come. If you have the hardware, why not run 8.1 in a Virtual Machine if you still want to keep it?
I just change it now to win10, and I will look forward instead of backwards(y):)

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
On this laptop, bought in 2015, whether upgrade or clean install (tried both) Win 10 is miserably slow. I am sticking with Win 8.1 Pro, which is fast, light RAM use, and just better all around for speed of everything. At 6 yrs old, I think this thing can go a few more years and, at my age, it might outlast me. If not, I'm resigned to Win 10 with the next laptop and I'll grit my teeth and accept the reality.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Windows 8.1: speed, stability
Windows 10: security, gaming, features, compatibility with new hardwares
my choice: windows 8.1 because speed and stability matter the most to me -> improve productivity, instead of taking care of bugs, security and lesser speed
I had problems with windows 10 and couldn't solve them

franz

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
On this laptop, bought in 2015, whether upgrade or clean install (tried both) Win 10 is miserably slow. I am sticking with Win 8.1 Pro, which is fast, light RAM use, and just better all around for speed of everything. At 6 yrs old, I think this thing can go a few more years and, at my age, it might outlast me. If not, I'm resigned to Win 10 with the next laptop and I'll grit my teeth and accept the reality.
I was always very slow to change windows. Waited also with win 98 until I had to install XP, waited until I had to install win 7, and almost cried when win 8.0 came, but that is progress. Sometime we like it, other times we don’t.;)(y)

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
my choice: windows 8.1 because speed and stability matter the most to me -> improve productivity, instead of taking care of bugs, security and lesser speed
I, too, tried everything to speed up 10. Nothing worked to improve the minute and a half boot time or the generally slow everything. I can live with slow boot times. I can turn on the machine, go get a cup of coffee, go out and smoke a cigarette. I don't need to sit and watch the screen do nothing. But when it's booted and everything is still noticeably slower, I won't tolerate it. And that happens whether I upgraded or did a clean install (which cost half a day including installing software). Windows 10 may be the latest and greatest as far as security and all, but it's no improvement here for much else.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I, too, tried everything to speed up 10. Nothing worked to improve the minute and a half boot time or the generally slow everything. I can live with slow boot times. I can turn on the machine, go get a cup of coffee, go out and smoke a cigarette. I don't need to sit and watch the screen do nothing. But when it's booted and everything is still noticeably slower, I won't tolerate it. And that happens whether I upgraded or did a clean install (which cost half a day including installing software). Windows 10 may be the latest and greatest as far as security and all, but it's no improvement here for much else.
That's why you need a SSD

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021

oof, luckily I didn't do that... seem dangerous

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
Has anybody tried using OOSU10 with Win10 and if so, is it a must? :unsure:
I'm using it, but IMO it's not a must. It's a convenient way of changing some of the system settings. It's also quite conservative and it doesn't cause any problems (at least on my systems). You have three pre-defined sets of settings (recommended, somehow recommended and all) that you can use. Each setting also contains explanation what it does.

Thiagoo

Level 3
May 10, 2021
In my opinion, if Windows 10 is also focused on heavy stuff like gaming, then it needs to have speed and stability too (on a professional gaming scenario, this is really important).

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I loved Win 7 and still misses it, and I don’t think I am alone feeling this.

:cry:
Windows 8.1 + classic shell or something similar = the closest thing to windows 7
Windows 8.1 even has lower memory usage than windows 7 and it has fast startup, which w7 doesn't => extremely valuable for PCs with HDD
w81 has better driver support than w7
I'm using the Ghostspectre's version of Windows 8.1. I must say my laptop has never been this fast even with windows 7 or 10
In my opinion, if Windows 10 is also focused on heavy stuff like gaming, then it needs to have speed and stability too (on a professional gaming scenario, this is really important).
Windows 10 was good at version 1607/LTSB 2016. I felt it was almost identical to windows 8.1 and 7 + we had full control of its settings
since v1703, MS had slowly took out the control and made things more difficult for us
now, with windows 10 home/pro, I feel like we are just beta testers for MS. The best and stable patches are updated to the business versions => people should not update windows 10 every tuesday. Select Defer update or change the channel to CBB => more stable

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.