Advice Request Win 8.1 vs Win10

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I remember improvements in terms of performance when I moved from Win 7 to 8.1, but I had to use Classic Shell and then make some tweaks in the registry in order to have grey backgrounds for some windows, etc. The customization was moved when I upgraded for free to Win 10.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
now, with windows 10 home/pro, I feel like we are just beta testers for MS. The best and stable patches are updated to the business versions => people should not update windows 10 every tuesday. Select Defer update or change the channel to CBB => more stable
Regarding the matter that the problem occurs after applying the update, I feel that it has become really terrible since it became win10. In terms of stability and perfection, I think the option of using 8.1 until just before the end of support is also effective.

L

Local Host

That's why you need a SSD
SSDs are overrated, Windows 10 will work perfectly fine on a HDD with no performance impact.

That is just a poor excuse from people with low tech knowledge, a HDD is the last thing to blame when you have low performance.
You'll always find people complaining about issues X or Y, we talking millions, you'll find the majorly of us have no issues whasoever since day one.

I can find just as many topics about Windows 8.1.

L

Local Host

Dude we were talking about the boot speed..
That is just another excuse to win an argument, when the user itself claimed he didn't care about boot speed, but the overall system performance after booting.

Not to mention even then, I have Windows 10 machines with HDDs booting in less than 1 minute (which is more than good enough).

To be fair I'm not an average Joe anyway, if we bought the same computer on same day, in a year time yours would probably be slow like a snail, and mine would be as fast as day one (SSDs aren't the miracle source of performance, even boot times, PCs need to be taken cared off for optimal performance).

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I liked 8.1 very much--it was fast, efficient and very stable. But when 10 came out, I upgraded even though I had a potato machine at the time with only 4GB memory installed. Reason was security, even back then.

I think people read all the horror stories about Windows 10 updates and that sticks with them more than the positives. Can't blame anybody there but the time has def. come. If you have the hardware, why not run 8.1 in a Virtual Machine if you still want to keep it?
Any Linux distro would run like a beast on your machine and would be more secure. Not to mention the unending possibilities of customization.

L

Local Host

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.