Win10 taskbar search doesn't make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby Dank

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 20, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place but here goes...

My download directory is indexed but when I try to search for a video file from the taskbar search, it doesn't show up. I have to go to filters and select videos and only then the file shows up.

Also, the search doesn't appear to be able to find any .exe file.

So when it works it's a hassle and other times it doesn't work at all.

EDIT: I have an external HD. The search doesn't seem to find anything in there, although it is indexed!

is there a way to make windows search better?

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I would suggest rebuilding the index. If you go into the index options, you will find it there.
By the way, sometimes it takes time for Windows to index everything, and if you add a whole bunch of files, or you did a system image restore, it will take time for the indexing to catch up.
But probably you should just rebuild the index.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
It's been completely broken ever since they quietly switch to Cortana in a big update few months ago. Nothing really shows up the way it's supposed to.
Maybe that's why it works for me -- I don't have cortana running

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It's been completely broken ever since they quietly switch to Cortana in a big update few months ago. Nothing really shows up the way it's supposed to.
Yup, it doesn't even show the items on the flipping desktop and sometimes even the start menu items too. MS knows how to mess up really well.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I already did. Didn't work. Should I select properties and file contents instead of just properties from the advanced options?
Hi, I honestly don't know more about this subject than what I already said. We see that other forum members are reporting a similar bug to yours, and they attribute it to Cortana, which seems to hijack Windows search in a bad way.
Maybe someone else has a fix or a workaround...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.