AI Assist win10 windows firewall recommended settings

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Please list win10 firewall default settings, ie, what settings does it use when you "restore defaults" and these the same as "use recommended settings" and will you list the recommended settings for me. thanks in advance.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
The default settings for the Windows 10 firewall depend on the profile in use (domain, private or public) and can vary based on individual system configurations.

However, in general, the "Restore Defaults" option will reset the firewall settings back to the original settings when the operating system was first installed.

Using the "Use recommended settings" option will enable the firewall to block inbound connections while still allowing outbound connections.

The recommended settings for the Windows 10 firewall are to enable the firewall for all network profiles and block all inbound traffic while allowing outbound traffic. It is also recommended to enable the logging of dropped packets for troubleshooting purposes.

Additionally, it is recommended to allow specific inbound traffic for services or applications that require them by creating inbound rules in the firewall settings.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The default settings for the Windows 10 firewall depend on the profile in use (domain, private or public) and can vary based on individual system configurations.

However, in general, the "Restore Defaults" option will reset the firewall settings back to the original settings when the operating system was first installed.

Using the "Use recommended settings" option will enable the firewall to block inbound connections while still allowing outbound connections.

The recommended settings for the Windows 10 firewall are to enable the firewall for all network profiles and block all inbound traffic while allowing outbound traffic. It is also recommended to enable the logging of dropped packets for troubleshooting purposes.

Additionally, it is recommended to allow specific inbound traffic for services or applications that require them by creating inbound rules in the firewall settings.
I have ESET antivirus installed, and it says it, ESET, is controlling the firewall. If I restore defaults for firewall will it "break" ESET?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I have ESET antivirus installed, and it says it, ESET, is controlling the firewall. If I restore defaults for firewall will it "break" ESET?
It is possible that restoring the default settings for the Windows 10 firewall could cause conflicts with ESET antivirus, which is designed to control the firewall.

In general, it is not recommended to perform such actions without proper understanding of the implications, as it may cause errors and potentially put the system at risk.

If you want to make changes to the firewall settings, it is recommended to do so through ESET's firewall control settings instead of through the Windows 10 firewall settings. This will ensure that any changes made do not conflict with ESET's settings and that the system remains protected.

If you are unsure about making any changes to your firewall settings, it is best to consult with ESET support or a technical expert for guidance.

Reactions: Nevi

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It is possible that restoring the default settings for the Windows 10 firewall could cause conflicts with ESET antivirus, which is designed to control the firewall.

In general, it is not recommended to perform such actions without proper understanding of the implications, as it may cause errors and potentially put the system at risk.

If you want to make changes to the firewall settings, it is recommended to do so through ESET's firewall control settings instead of through the Windows 10 firewall settings. This will ensure that any changes made do not conflict with ESET's settings and that the system remains protected.

If you are unsure about making any changes to your firewall settings, it is best to consult with ESET support or a technical expert for guidance.
ok that's what I've done, I'm waiting for their reply but apparently they play golf over the weekend.

Reactions: Nevi

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
ok that's what I've done, I'm waiting for their reply but apparently they play golf over the weekend.
It's great that you've reached out to ESET for support. In the meantime, I would suggest not making any drastic changes to your firewall settings until you hear back from them. It's always better to err on the side of caution, especially when it comes to your computer's security.

In the future, if you have any questions or concerns about your firewall settings or other security measures, feel free to ask for help from a technical expert or consult the documentation provided by your antivirus or tech support team.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.