Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You can get it now, with Microsoft Update Assistant tool, but MS announces:

"We will offer the October Update to users via Windows Update when data shows your device is ready and you will have a great experience. If we detect that your device may have an issue, such as an application incompatibility, we will not install the update until that issue is resolved, even if you “Check for updates,” so you avoid encountering any known problems. "

Windows 10’s October Update Returns, Promises Not to Delete Your Files

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
My machine doesn't qualify yet through Windows Update. I got the 1803 cumulative update instead. The time will come for this old machine, sooner or later... . I'll let MS decide. For now I'm keeping Mr. Lenovo Laptop slim and fast as it will go! No problemos aqui!

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
This is some what positive step for people. Least it won't be a forced install. I had to disable Updates in services to stop 1809 being installed. Obviously it's enabled now, just didn't want the additional aspects of failures from the new OS update.

~LDogg

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
You can get it now, with Microsoft Update Assistant tool, but MS announces:

"We will offer the October Update to users via Windows Update when data shows your device is ready and you will have a great experience. If we detect that your device may have an issue, such as an application incompatibility, we will not install the update until that issue is resolved, even if you “Check for updates,” so you avoid encountering any known problems. "

Windows 10’s October Update Returns, Promises Not to Delete Your Files
Thanks,how did you find this?

L

Local Host

This is some what positive step for people. Least it won't be a forced install. I had to disable Updates in services to stop 1809 being installed. Obviously it's enabled now, just didn't want the additional aspects of failures from the new OS update.

~LDogg
Update 1809 was never an automatic to date, it had to be forced installed by manually triggering the Windows Update or by getting the ISO from Microsoft.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Thanks for the alert.

I used to always check for updates. No more.

With Microsoft, Norton, and Malwarebytes.... getting software updates has sometimes been an ordeal in the past year.

I've learned with each methods to delay or alter the normal course of software updates.

It's just easier to delay and not be part of the Beta group.

Killed drag-and-drop on 3 systems. And guess what, not a thing installed on the systems. All 100 % re-fried Windows 10. All by itself, messing with itself. I'm sure there is more stuff. Just wait for the reports to filter in.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I'm trying to install it. I think upgrading Windows 10 is one of the most stressful things I do every year. They haven't learned a thing. I still run into the same errors. I just can't help but think what anyone less savvy would do in those situations.

Incoming...

Surprisingly given Microsoft’s promise to improve the quality of Windows updates, KB4464455 doesn’t actually fix many of the bugs reported by Windows 10 version 1809 users lately.

Again, no patches for widespread issues that made the rounds lately.

Both updates come with one known issue which hits all systems and that for some reason was ignored by Microsoft for this release.

“After installing this update, some users cannot set Win32 program defaults for certain app and file type combinations using the Open with… command or Settings > Apps > Default apps. In some cases, Microsoft Notepad or other Win32 programs cannot be set as the default,” it says.

Known Issues in Windows 10 Cumulative Updates KB4467708 and KB4464455

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Incoming...

Surprisingly given Microsoft’s promise to improve the quality of Windows updates, KB4464455 doesn’t actually fix many of the bugs reported by Windows 10 version 1809 users lately.

Again, no patches for widespread issues that made the rounds lately.

Both updates come with one known issue which hits all systems and that for some reason was ignored by Microsoft for this release.

“After installing this update, some users cannot set Win32 program defaults for certain app and file type combinations using the Open with… command or Settings > Apps > Default apps. In some cases, Microsoft Notepad or other Win32 programs cannot be set as the default,” it says.

Known Issues in Windows 10 Cumulative Updates KB4467708 and KB4464455
But the UAC prompt in SUA accounts seems to be working better.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

1jqmkz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.