Troubleshoot Windows 10 computer restarts to black screen

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
a toshiba satallite l775 laptop restarts to a black screen. I just did a full reinstall of win 10 on the laptop and every time almost every time I boot up it goes to a black screen. Then to get it to finish and get to the windows 10 login in screen I have to push the power button and shutdown . then push it to restart, this always happens if I do a RESTART but only happens part of the time after I shut down and then start up the computer.

Is this a graphic card problem with the laptop? I don't know how to fix this

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
FYI
if you are not getting the answers you need over here on MT, which admittedly does not specialize in windows 10 or hardware/installation problems, you can try your luck at the win10 forum:
Windows 10 Forums
or try the hard-core hardware guys:
Tom's Hardware Forum

Reactions: done
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

Connect your laptop to external monitor or HD TV with HDMI cord & see if the display appears. If the display appears then try shutdown & restart few times to see display appears everytime. This will kinda rule out hardware prob.

You may give try to few things & see like disable fast startup & see, shutdown system-remove power cord-remove battery-press the power button for 30 secs-attach power cord & see, check with & without battery, etc...

I think would be good if test with external monitor to rule out hardware prob.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
and I would add that you could also try starting in safe mode. If display works good in safe mode, then you have a program or process or driver that is causing a conflict.
Guessing, and the process of elimination, will then lead you to the culprit.

how to start windows 10 in safe mode:

1. Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power
    5a774598-9041-49c1-ac51-955242b27bd4_50.png
    > Restart.
  2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings >Restart.

3. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
I think we are on the right track but I downloaded that driver and it is not compatible with the computer. I am
thinking I will just have to reinstall win 7 on this computer. That is too bad because it had a i5 processor in it, but it is
a few years old.

I am just not sure a driver is available for it anywhere ...

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
I didn't research which components you have, but if you are running intel HD graphic 300, on windows 10, so download your drivers from here:
Drivers & Software[/QUOTE
I am sure we are on the right track but that download did not work on this laptop... it is the satellite L775-7355. At Toshiba website they dont appear to have an updated driver for win 10. Intel site says that driver works on the computers with the celeron processor. This computer runs the i5 process but it is an older computer. Maybe I should just give up and reinstall win 7

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
I didn't research which components you have, but if you are running intel HD graphic 300, on windows 10, so download your drivers from here:
Drivers & Software
I think that it is the graphic driver but I have tried the driver in the link and it does not work. I also went to intel and toshiba to find a driver to work but they don't have one listed for win 10. So maybe the only thing I can do is to take this computer and reinstall win 7 on it. It is only a 4 yr old computer but if the driver is not compatible with win 10 there is not much I can do

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Connect your laptop to external monitor or HD TV with HDMI cord & see if the display appears. If the display appears then try shutdown & restart few times to see display appears everytime. This will kinda rule out hardware prob.

You may give try to few things & see like disable fast startup & see, shutdown system-remove power cord-remove battery-press the power button for 30 secs-attach power cord & see, check with & without battery, etc...

I think would be good if test with external monitor to rule out hardware prob.
ok i will try that

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
and I would add that you could also try starting in safe mode. If display works good in safe mode, then you have a program or process or driver that is causing a conflict.
Guessing, and the process of elimination, will then lead you to the culprit.

how to start windows 10 in safe mode:

1. Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power
    5a774598-9041-49c1-ac51-955242b27bd4_50.png
    > Restart.
  2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings >Restart.

3. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.
Thank you , I did get the computer to start in safemode every time. Maybe I will head over to Tom's hardware and see if they have any answers before I reinstall win 7

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
hi, safemode uses a different set of drivers for the display. It uses a generic all-purpose driver that is built-in to windows, as far as I understand.

So it does sound like you have a driver problem, i.e., you haven't found the graphics driver for your chipset that is good for windows 10, or you found it but it is conflicting with something else.

I would definitely ask on tom's hardware, if I was you. Your system is not so old. It's not reasonable for it to be incompatible with windows 10.
Better yet, ask on the toshiba forum. You are probably not the first person in the world with a toshiba who updated to windows 10 and ran into problems. These forums usually have an expert from the company who monitors the posts, and will provide support, if the other users can't solve the problem for you.
Or just open up a ticket with toshiba support, that's also an option.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Good point I am sure I am not the first. Even though to Intel and Toshiba a 4 yr old computer might be ancient, it always has worked great and the processor is an i5. But That doesnt mean they are going to support it. I have left post at Tom's Hardware and now with Toshiba but we will see. I will wait about 1 more day and then just reinstall win 7 I guess.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Good point I am sure I am not the first. Even though to Intel and Toshiba a 4 yr old computer might be ancient, it always has worked great and the processor is an i5. But That doesnt mean they are going to support it. I have left post at Tom's Hardware and now with Toshiba but we will see. I will wait about 1 more day and then just reinstall win 7 I guess.
before you reinstall win 7, make a system image. Who knows, maybe toshiba will get back to you after a few days, with a wonder solution, and then you can roll back to win 10 fast and easy.
Macrium Reflect is good for the job, free version works fine, but slower when restoring.
Might as well take trial version of Macrium Home, you will get faster restore time. If you need another 30 days, upgrade to the next version up, and get another trial 30 days.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
before you reinstall win 7, make a system image. Who knows, maybe toshiba will get back to you after a few days, with a wonder solution, and then you can roll back to win 10 fast and easy.
Macrium Reflect is good for the job, free version works fine, but slower when restoring.
Might as well take trial version of Macrium Home, you will get faster restore time. If you need another 30 days, upgrade to the next version up, and get another trial 30 days.
Well Toshiba has acknowledged on their website that they do not support Win 10 on this model of laptop. IT is too bad because it is a nice
laptop that is still pretty powerful. I now have win 7 on it and it is running great. So odd that it did work for about 3 months but , I guess there is nothing to be done about it

Thanks for all the help everyone. I always really appreciate it

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Well Toshiba has acknowledged on their website that they do not support Win 10 on this model of laptop. IT is too bad because it is a nice
laptop that is still pretty powerful. I now have win 7 on it and it is running great. So odd that it did work for about 3 months but , I guess there is nothing to be done about it

thanks for reporting back about it. I agree that it is pretty odd.

Upvote 0

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015

It is not only with toshiba, I have panasonic with i5 which is booting very slow, windows 10 doesnt play well with computers that were upgrad from 7. Never heard of any problem for people that upgrade from 8

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.