Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows 10 Displaying Browser Ads in the Taskbar When Using Google Chrome

Ads in Windows 10 is quite a controversial topic, and we’ve seen many people accusing Microsoft of trying to promote apps (in most of the cases its own) by displaying nags here and there across the operating system.

And it looks like Redmond has found another way to annoy users, as popup ads are now displayed right on the Windows 10 taskbar as little popups that show up at random times.

Brad Chacos of PCWorld has posted a screenshot showing one of these popups, adding that he was using Google Chrome as the default browser – this is what it’s believed might have triggered the ad anyway, as the main purpose should be to convince users to switch from third-party browsers to Edge.

Ad settings were reset
The popup is, in essence, a Microsoft Edge ad that’s trying to highlight some of the capabilities of the new browser, in this case, the Rewards tool. “Wanna earn while you browse? Get free movies and games with Microsoft Edge. See how,” the ad that popped out from the Microsoft Edge icon in the taskbar reads.

What’s also very interesting is that Brad claims this happened on Windows 10 Pro (the version that’s the most often chosen by professionals) and despite the fact that he repeatedly disabled ad preferences in the Settings screen – in a later tweet he adds that all options were reset to default, most likely by the Anniversary Update.

Microsoft hasn’t issued a statement on this, so we don’t know for sure if this is a new way to promote Microsoft Edge browser or not, but we’ve reached out to the company and will update the article when we hear back.

But this wouldn’t be the first time when the company is trying such a tactic anyway, as Microsoft Edge is also being promoted with toast notifications that show up every once in a while, especially on machines where a different browser is being used.

Microsoft is trying to highlight some of the capabilities of its new browser, including power saving, but it seems it’s becoming a little bit too intrusive with all these banners.

Windows 10 is now luring in people to earn rewards just by using the Edge browser

A

antreas

Stupid MS improve your stupid software and remove the stupid ads you have billion of dollars.
Improving your software can get users to use your software than giving rewards. Stupid Microsoft!!! ;)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Seriously?...*facepalm*
When are you finally going to understand it MS? You attract users to your browser by adding more extensions and features and by fixing the lagging and crashes. Now you only put users further and further from the idea of giving Edge a second chance....

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
lol They are making the case for moving to Linux, all on their own :)
I use Start10 from Stardock so "I don't have this issue" and my start looks like a custom Win7
type start menu, With no ads :p

Attachments

• Start_ss.png
    Start_ss.png
    299.1 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
If you checked the settings and had the ads turned on. No wonder they show up...

CwXpuHhWEAAw83y.jpg
I never said I had Ad's, I just can't get them reguardless because of what I use. go back and read my reply ;) I Highlighted it for ya.
And you can uninstall the ad delivery system pretty easily.
Hint: look in the hidden locations for the apps, ad's are in 2 locations of the 3 that
apps are hidden in;)

Last edited:

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
I never said I had Ad's, I just can't get them reguardless because of what I use. go back and read my reply ;) I Highlighted it for ya.
And you can uninstall the ad delivery system pretty easily.
Hint: look in the hidden locations for the apps, ad's are in 2 locations of the 3 that
apps are hidden in;)
I didn't mean to quote you. I think i cliked the wrong button ahahahah

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
lol They are making the case for moving to Linux, all on their own :)
I use Start10 from Stardock so "I don't have this issue" and my start looks like a custom Windows 7
type start menu, With no ads :p
I remember popups requiring the use of scanners to get rid, now, according to Microsoft's actions it's acceptable. I've used Linux distros for a very long time and I used a linux distro exclusively without windows on my system at all for 3 years. I moved back to Windows to try Windows 10 and I do like the OS, but I'm not putting up with tactics like the ones MS are using and I'm on the brink of wiping my SSD and returning to a Linux distro full time again. You hit the nail on the head there brother, MS are making switching to a Linux distro more appealing by the day even to regular users.

If I do switch back to a Linux distro I'll just run Windows 10 in a VM. I can't believe that MS think showing popup advertisements in their OS is acceptable.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I remember popups requiring the use of scanners to get rid, now, according to Microsoft's actions it's acceptable. I've used Linux distros for a very long time and I used a linux distro exclusively without windows on my system at all for 3 years. I moved back to Windows to try Windows 10 and I do like the OS, but I'm not putting up with tactics like the ones MS are using and I'm on the brink of wiping my SSD and returning to a Linux distro full time again. You hit the nail on the head there brother, MS are making switching to a Linux distro more appealing by the day even to regular users.

If I do switch back to a Linux distro I'll just run Windows 10 in a VM. I can't believe that MS think showing popup advertisements in their OS is acceptable.
One that understands me ;)
and your exactly right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.