Status
Not open for further replies.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
windows 10 home has ads? i have never used home, only enterprise & pro which is why i am asking.

do windows 10 home users get subjected to ads?
It was more like self promotion, just like they promote their "superior" browser.
Windows 10 users have been complaining vocally in recent weeks about OneDrive notifications in the File Explorer, encouraging them to pay $6.99 for an Office 365 subscription.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
oh freak :eek:

i can understand self promotion on the msn homepage, even in that botched up browser called edge, but not in file explorer.

so windows is now adware. no wonder microsoft wants to eliminate 3rd party AV protection from windows.

i can only imagine my AV protection throwing up something like this :

infected-windows-funny-error-messages.gif

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
windows 10 home has ads? i have never used home, only enterprise & pro which is why i am asking.

3 major types of ads actually.
1. On the lockscreen "Get Fun Facts and Tips on the Lockscreen": You will get ads, usually for Microsoft products.
2. On the Start screen. I have seen suggestions popping up. Also mostly for Microsoft.
3. The most extreme: Preinstalled Apps for their partners or their own freemium programs

I have a hard time believing that you haven't noticed them yet because they are in Windows 10 Pro aswell. :confused:

7 ways Windows 10 pushes ads at you, and how to stop them

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
3 types of ads actually.
1. On the lockscreen "Get Fun Facts and Tips on the Lockscreen": You will get ads, usually for Microsoft products.
2. On the Start screen. I have seen suggestions popping up. Also mostly for Microsoft.
3. The most extreme: Preinstalled Apps for their partners or their own freemium programs

I have a hard time believing that you haven't noticed them yet because they are in Windows 10 Pro aswell. :confused:

i am aware of #3, the pre-installed apps on pro, but the former two i have not noticed.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
I think its the right time to come up with a crowd funded OS, may be based on linux but a bit more user friendly and that can natively support Windows based applications. Yes, it will surely require a lot of work but its possible.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I think its the right time to come up with a crowd funded OS, may be based on linux but a bit more user friendly and that can natively support Windows based applications. Yes, it will surely require a lot of work but its possible.

@jogs you could not be more correct. It would be the best thing that ever happened imo. If it's been on my mind for 15 years, I'm sure some devs have been thinking hard about it. Who knows, maybe development could begin soon.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
@Umbra, @jogs, @AtlBo,

ubuntu asks for a voluntary $15 contribution which of course we can deny for now but who knows about the future.

once ubuntu is as popular as windows, ubuntu too might go the microsoft way & start the ads & the telemetry & the forced updates.

i am speaking of ubuntu not for any particular reason but only as an example for a linux distro.

Reactions: AtlBo
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
This is more likely. I think they will put more ads inside the Home version and have them be their guinea pigs so that they can refine the Enterprise version.

Also like @ravi prakash saini mentioned. Free Windows 10 is like the government's free phone program. The US government most likely wants everyone to have Windows 10 so that they can keep track of people. The worst thing to happen to the US would be a foreign operating system becoming mainstream OR fragmentation where you have people actually using different OSes with different kernels making mass surveillance far more difficult.

I totally agree with this. Many have claimed the so-called free phone program was to facilitate monitoring of people that didn't have phones that they wanted to monitor. If you recall some years ago the govt. wanted access to on-star data in GM cars. GM refused a blanket surveillance order for on-star because to utilize the microphone aspect would potentially disable safety features in the event of an emergency. Shortly after the US Govt. bailed out GM and the assumption was they got access to surveillance technology in millions of vehicles. My policy is - if the govt. is giving it away for free, or recommended it, I am staying far away from it. If people really knew what was going on, this Snowden/Vault stuff is really just the tip of the iceberg.

Cartapping: How Feds Have Spied On Connected Cars For 15 Years

OnStar Tracks Your Car Even When You Cancel Service

Does anyone remember Maegia/Mandriva, I believe it was the Italian or French govt. that funded a replacement for their systems using Windows. (its been awhile, I forgot) It seems like if Microsoft starts doing this we need some major funding for an alternative OS. ;)

Reactions: AtlBo

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
@Lockdown

Did you remove the article? Wasn't that article from 1 year ago? If so, does anyone know any enterprise/business that is currently paying subscription to Microsoft right now?

Reactions: ZeroDay and AtlBo

orthonovum

Level 3
Verified
Jun 17, 2017

I have been seeing reports of ads in win10 but I have not actually seen any with my own eyes or talked to anyone who has.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
I have been seeing reports of ads in win10 but I have not actually seen any with my own eyes or talked to anyone who has.

I haven't seen them. But there are a lot of advertising based settings in Windows 10. Perhaps they are harvesting and selling the data to ad firms?

Also Win10 has been known to install third party products/games/services, like Candy Crush.

orthonovum

Level 3
Verified
Jun 17, 2017
I haven't seen them. But there are a lot of advertising based settings in Windows 10. Perhaps they are harvesting and selling the data to ad firms?

Also Win10 has been known to install third party products/games/services, like Candy Crush.

Yeah there is a lot of junk to clean up after a fresh install, I think I have even seen candy crush and angry birds come back after an update before.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
once ubuntu is as popular as windows, ubuntu too might go the microsoft way & start the ads & the telemetry & the forced updates.

i am speaking of ubuntu not for any particular reason but only as an example for a linux distro.

Yes, but there is the open standard which guarantees software is free and open source. IOW, Ubuntu would have to break away from that support to do this. That would be extraordinarily painful and would make big news. Backlash from the open source commnuity would be harsh.

I feel certain all the serious open source players are in it for keeps. These would be OpenOffice, LibreOffice (Document Foundation/OASIS), Linux, Unbuntu and many others. The open standard is as much about achieving standards for documents and computing as anything. Open document has pressured MS for example in some ways, and MS have had to comply. This pressure is likelier to get much heavier in the future imo, so that MS will have to fully commit to working for document standards rather than winking and nodding at them while ignoring them as much as possible.

How likely is it that the open source dream of any file in any supporting program in any OS will disappear? I don't think so. IMO, the bigger risk is that employees at MS will go to work someday for a company that just found out that 100% free has a better product :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroDay and ispx

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I think the link was removed by others.

Just search for it online.

It was just released announcement; it is less than a few weeks old.
Thanks. I was curious since someone over at Wilders posted an old article regarding a possible subscription fee. And I wanted to be sure if your link was the same.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
First of all this is NOT purpose be a praise talk about Linux!!!
HZmsJkL.png

Long live Open-Source !!! . Most of all linux distributions are made in part by open source technologies
bsBjbr1.png
<3 <3!. linux-based operating system likely won’t contain any closed-code programs <3 . Sure there are compromised...

This makes it easier to give away the operating system for free, but it also means that modification of the operating system is legally allowed. This means that if you want, you can freely modify your operating system until your heart is content. <3 That's what i like it!
All of the code used is open and publicly available for everyone to see, and anything is possible. <3 <3 <3 . Code, ouh yeah, even open, that's for fun me, bugs, bugs, everywhere...just kidding.

Yep, this thread when i saw i totally thought that's is seriously huge sh*t for straight in the face many peeps! I'm not a fanboy trash talkin here (all throught is for sure look like it), but seriously, MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION FEE !!! :eek: . C'mon, it's like when nothing is enough...isn't it?

Some here already posted and make tiny comparison what Nokia made...yeah i know. But still i love my loyal friend 3310 original <3!

Well in the end i have to linked one page, i'm sorry if i ONCE AGAIN OFFEND someone and i like usually spam OT! But here's go nothing => Just think..i know many has think that before CLICK!

What a mess again, but my head was almost explosing when i even my vacation, why! oh why! i came here and saw this and have to post little crap!

Back to off-line, thank you everyone & sorry of course & Have a good one!

- BC

Ag5bWEa.png
& =>
AzI6Fe6.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.