Advice Request Windows 10 Firewall Control - Sphinx Software - opinions ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Thiagoo

Level 3
May 10, 2021
Never used it, and in my opinion it looks pretty shady, i couldn't find infos about the company who made it in Google and the website looks a bit... old?

I'm not attacking the software or the company in any way, but these was my first impressions about it honestly

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Afaik it's a firewall like others nothing shady about it. It even has a whole thread at wilders where it seems to be an ok firewall.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Sphinx is the best WFC I have ever used, but the free version is too limited, you can not control windows processes, and the paid version is too elaborate, like Comodo Firewall.
The advantage of WFC is obvious, WF allows any app (malware) with admin rights to add/remove rules at will, WFC prevents it. MS does not consider it as an issue. :cautious:

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
It's an excellent firewall. I have a paid license for the Plus version, which allows to restrict not only application outbound connections, but even domain names using wildcards, making it possible to block ads and telemetry such as for example:

*.googleads*.com or *analytics.*

It's even nice if you want to direct Windows update processes to Microsoft domains, for example:

update.microsoft or ctldl.windowsupdate.com

However, development in recent years has been very slow for some reason. Also for no one particular reason other than mostly to simplify things, I decided recently to just use the free Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control interface instead.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I've used it before. Functionally, the description of @TairikuOkami@wat0114 says it all. There are no fancy bells and whistles, and the software has a very serious feel to it. I feel that this software loses a lot with its name. It was often confused with Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control.

The reason I stopped using it was because I couldn't get used to the fact that the new connection dialog popped up as a large window instead of a popup.

cybercipher

Feb 6, 2024
Never used it, and in my opinion it looks pretty shady, i couldn't find infos about the company who made it in Google and the website looks a bit... old?

I'm not attacking the software or the company in any way, but these was my first impressions about it honestly
I've used their Firewall Control Cloud edition v.7.5 for the past 8 years. It's a great little supplement to the Windows firewall. HOWEVER: the program cost me $24 back in 2016. I've used it on two computers at once, but the two computers rarely ran concurrently. 3 days ago I received an email from Sphinx-soft informing me that I violated my license. This morning, they connected to my computer remotely and shut down the program. This is the first and only time I've been contacted by Sphinx-soft (Sphincter-soft somehow seems more appropriate. I've never had license issues with any other software vendor). Bear in mind that the license is a one-time payment - no annual subscriptions or renewals.

• Wow
Reactions: TairikuOkami

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.