Windows 10 Intel microcode released to fix new CPU security bugs

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Microsoft has released a new batch of Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 20H2, 2004, 1909, and older versions to fix new hardware vulnerabilities discovered in Intel CPUs.

When Intel finds bugs in their CPUs, they release microcode updates that allow operating systems to patch the behavior of the CPU to fix, or at least mitigate, the bug.

Today, an international group of researchers from Graz University of Technology, CISPA Helmholtz Center for Information Security, and the University of Birmingham disclosed new Intel CPU side-channel vulnerabilities called Platypus.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
From the above link does it applies to ALL Intel CPUs or only the below CPUs?

This Intel microcode release adds four additional CPU families that will receive the latest fixes from Intel.
  • Avoton
  • Sandy Bridge E, EN, EP, EP4S
  • Sandy Bridge E, EP
  • Valley View / Baytrail
If your device uses one of the above processors, the associated Intel Microcode update will be offered via Windows Update.

Unquote

Edit

Went to INTEL site and those CPUs required updating are listed there

Not affecting my Ice-Lake CPU though

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Not affecting my Ice-Lake CPU though
Older Intel CPUs are vulnerable to other security problems since years.
You can e.g. check that with Sidechannel tool from Microsoft.

Even my old Q9550 wasn't secure. This CPU was affected because of hyper threading and old CPUs aren't patched so..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.